FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
Has anyone else bought from this seller? His specialty is Drosera Petiolaris Complex hybrids. He's very clear that the plants are hybrids but he also will include a specific species in the title. For instance, "Drosera Petiolaris Complex Falconeri Hybrid". From what I can see, the pollen parent is itself a complex hybrid and the named species is the seed parent. So each hybrid is half purebred and half mutt. He uses a generic picture, so you can't tell if the "hybrid Falconeri" looks any different from a "hybrid Darwinensis". On the other hand, he starts his auctions at 99 cents, so you can get a really good buy. (His buy-it-nows are $25)

So far, I've got one of his plants, which I got cheap and am using as an experiment to see if they'll grow in my "normal" conditions. It's doing well enough that I bought two more in the last round of auctions. Whether or not they'll look or grow any differently, time will tell.

Anyhow, so far, if you're looking for Petiolaris Complex, I feel that I can recommend him.

Update:

I received the additional two hybrids I ordered, a Lanata and a Fulva, both looking pretty good. After I removed them from their individual baggies, I started to take pics:
Attachments:
DSCN2961a.JPG
DSCN2961a.JPG (74.07 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
DSCN2963a.JPG
DSCN2963a.JPG (80.42 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
DSCN2962a.JPG
DSCN2962a.JPG (72.58 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
DSCN2965a.JPG
DSCN2965a.JPG (82.96 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
DSCN2970a.JPG
DSCN2970a.JPG (64.27 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
By WolframOmega
I must admit those are some cool labels.
Evenwind, I wouldn't recommend sphagnum moss as a medium; I don't think they dry out for dormancy as well as a peat sand mixture.
WolframOmega liked this
By evenwind
WolframOmega wrote:I must admit those are some cool labels.
Evenwind, I wouldn't recommend sphagnum moss as a medium; I don't think they dry out for dormancy as well as a peat sand mixture.
I appreciate the advice. My problem is that I've never had any success with peat and I haven't been able to figure out exactly why. Something I'm doing wrong, I'm sure. On the other hand, I've had decent luck with NZS. So I'm experimenting with inexpensive plants. Thanks again.
By evenwind
Oh yeah, the plant labels... I make 'em with a Brother P-Touch label maker, black-lettering-on-clear tape and variously color-coded plastic stick-ins. Nothing fancy at all. I'm glad you like them.
By katya_dog1
evenwind wrote:Oh yeah, the plant labels... I make 'em with a Brother P-Touch label maker, black-lettering-on-clear tape and variously color-coded plastic stick-ins. Nothing fancy at all. I'm glad you like them.
Thank you. You just told me how I should make my labels, I have all the necessary supplies.

Nice looking Drosera, by the way. I've always liked the look of Petiolaris and hybrids.
Help with care for my VFT

You're checking all the boxes, except for the ligh[…]

Goodness, that's quite a difference! I'm pretty […]

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in […]

Pest control question

Hey all. My Sarrs got hit with thrips this Spring […]

I'd like to give her some of these when they're […]

baby sundew found in mu bog pot

I just found these in my bog pot I didn't let any […]

doing research before buying a ping

I'm thinking of buying a p. gigantea but I don't k[…]

Help! My VFT is dying

So is morning sun better than afternoon sun? I hav[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!