FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Jonathan_
Guys,

I have been wanting to do this for quite sometime now and have been thinking of making a Native North or South Carolina Bog in my back yard. I am trying to find out which area has the most carnivorous plants as I know the Green Swamp only has few varieties of native plants. So I won't be doing a Green Swamp theme. What I would like to know is which sites of the Carolina's has more species and more variety than the others? I know some people don't like naming sites due to the fact of the threat of poaching so I would like if people could state just the area of the Carolina's like NC or SC where they saw the plants. They don't have to name the site. (See example below) I also think this would be kind of a neat database to others as well to get a feel of what plants go well together and which do not.

Like this

EXAMPLE:
My Name:
Jonathan
I Saw:
Dionaea Muscipula,(Then state if you saw them mixed or clumped in with each other or a fair distance apart.)
Sarracenia Rubra (Clumped Together With VFT's in a shaded area)
Sarracenia Flava: Cut Throat: (Found a few feet away from Venus Fly Traps in an open area)
By Nick
From what I've read in The Savage Garden, many carnivorous plants can do well in a bog together because (generally) they have similar environmental pressures in their respective natural habitats. The standard 50/50 mix can work well with quite a few varieties and of course everybody has their own tweaks that accommodate for their growing styles, watering habits, etc.

I would try to find plants that grow in similar climates or look up what others have done with their bog gardens. If you are going to be specific to NC/SC only, you might be limited a bit on available diversity.
Nick liked this
By entropy81
Haven't seen them growing in the wild. However I think in the Carolinas the green swamp on the border is the biggest habitat, and the only place in the world venus flytraps naturally grow.

For Drosera, the ones you'd find in Carolina would mirror the ones growing throughout the rest of the east coast, subject to climate. Filiformis, intermedia, rotundifolia, maybe tracyi and possibly x hybrida.

For Sarracenia, there are a few varieties in the Carolinas, purpurea ssp. venosa, S. minor, S. oreophila, S. rubra, and S. rubra ssp. jonesii.

Most all the rest of the different Sarracenia, except purpurea ssp. pupurea which grows further north into Canada, comes from the gulf coast in Florida and Alabama and Georgia. Leucophylla, flava, alata, alabamensis, and psittacina are all specific to the gulf coast and don't grow in the wild in the Carolinas.

All of them (and then some, including Australian and African) would grow fine in the same bog habitat though.
By Jonathan_
Perhaps it would be easier if I just did a Green Swamp NC recreation which would require only plants that are from that specific place. My dream is to recreate it in my own back yard and just enjoy cultivating these awesome plants! Who knows maybe I will buy some nice property someday and make a nice big bog garden that would take up half the yard :). If the folks who have been to that specific preserve could name and be specific on the cp's they found there, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!