FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Announcements, as well as comments and suggestions about the FlytrapCare Forum itself. For all Forum members.

Moderator: Matt

By Devon
Hello everyone! I created a group a while ago called "Canadian growers here!". I'm announcing it now because...I never thought of announcing a new group before, (I guess I'm sort of copying Carolyn by announcing it). I'd just like to say if any of you Canadians are on this site, please join my group! Here is the link: http://www.flytrapcare.com/groups/viewg ... +Here.html
By WORMSS
i thuoght those groups was a waste of time... why would u need to be in one... just talk on the forum.
By Devon
groups are just for fun I guess... :|
By Matt
WORMSS wrote:i thuoght those groups was a waste of time... why would u need to be in one... just talk on the forum.
It's just another way to connect with people. There are things that you can do with the group feature on the community part of the site that isn't possible in the forum.
By WORMSS
just seems to be more things that takes you away from the 2 best parts of the site
the information and the forum.
By Adam
I'm kind of concerned about the scattering of information as well. But the problem with the forum is that good information gets buried. You need a good balance. While the info on the site is good, maybe more can be put in to flesh it out a bit more. For example, there used to be a carnivorous plant club here in the Vancouver area. One doesn't exist anymore. If I was to start one up, it would be somehow incorporated through this site. Maybe a google app integration for a wiki? Or is the wiki that's here good enough? Thoughts?
By Matt
Yeah, I still haven't figured out the best way to organize everything on the site. It makes sense to have a group page specifically for people that are all in a particular area and want to get together for meetings, field trips, etc., and that's the purpose of the groups page. I know that kind of stuff could be organized in the forum, but the software on the community part of the site is MADE to do that.

I think that carnivorous plant societies could easily be formed and maintained through the community part of the site.
By Adam
I'll get on that. So there is a wiki? You should have all of Vancouver area growers on here in no time :)
By Matt
Adam wrote:So there is a wiki?
I'm not entirely sure of the definition of a wiki, but on the community part of the site, it is set up similarly to facebook where you can create groups, invite people, send out announcements to all the members in the group, write on the group wall, organize events with the group calendar, etc. It provides a lot of functionality for organizing groups.
By Devon
I think I announced this group waaayyyy too late... :|
By dalat_1960
I think this group is a good idea. Some people in Canada can meet each other to chat or show there plants, learn new tips, etc.
Members in group gather in a coffee shop or in someone's house. It's better than chatting on the Internet :)
By Matt
dalat_1960 wrote:I think this group is a good idea. Some people in Canada can meet each other to chat or show there plants, learn new tips, etc.
Members in group gather in a coffee shop or in someone's house. It's better than chatting on the Internet :)
Yeah, that's the idea I had for groups. Allowing people to organize and meet in person. I'm glad that someone else agrees.
By lemonlily
I agree, but everyone knows I can't do that. :lol:
By Adam
Canada is a big country. Much bigger than the US. You need regional clubs like in the US.
By Devon
Lol, I wouldn't be allowed to meet anyone in person. First of all, I'm only 12, second of all my parents wouldn't let me, and like Adam said, Canada is a very big country and you might have to travel for hours to meet someone.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!