FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By A Happy Planter
Hey everyone, I am interested in buying a Venus Flytrap. I heard that store bought VTFs do not have good traps from people poking their fingers in their traps. I also heard that after you feed a store bought VTF the leaf you fed will grow a black spot. Does this wear off? Or should I buy one online and would any of you recommend any sites. Anyone also have any good advice about getting a store bought one? Your help will be appreciated :)
By 95slvrZ28
First off, Hello and Welcome!
A Happy Planter wrote:Hey everyone, I am interested in buying a Venus Flytrap. I heard that store bought VTFs do not have good traps from people poking their fingers in their traps.
You can get plants from a normal store, they're just generally in worse condition and take a little more love and care to get them to be a good looking plant. You are correct that the plants from local hardware stores etc. usually have been played with quite a bit, so often times the traps that are on the plant when you get it won't close. This happens to any trap after it's been triggered quite a bit and really isn't anything to be too concerned about. The new traps the plant grows will work fine (providing you're following the basic care rules of VFTs).
A Happy Planter wrote: I also heard that after you feed a store bought VTF the leaf you fed will grow a black spot.
I've never heard of traps getting black spots when they catch something, so I guess I can't really comment on that.
A Happy Planter wrote:Or should I buy one online and would any of you recommend any sites. Anyone also have any good advice about getting a store bought one?
The store that corresponds to this forum: http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/ is great. The plants I've purchased from Matt have been the best quality plants I've received. Whether you purchase your plant online or in a store basic care is the same for both: 50:50 Sphagnum Peat:Silica Sand (or alternative low nutrient potting medium), distilled, RO or rain water and lots of sun. Give any VFT those conditions and it should do well for you.
By A Happy Planter
Ok, thanks :)

I read a lot about VTFs and have always been interested in them. If I am going to get them I decided I will probably get one from the online store you sent me the link to.

About the black spots on leaves there is another guide I read and quikly talks about it, here is the link- http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2580.html
By 95slvrZ28
Ah, thanks for the link, that puts it into a little better context.

I've heard multiple accounts of traps dieing when they catch something. That will go for any plant whether it's from a your local store or if it's from an online store. It really depends on how healthy you keep the plant, but as I said before, a plant from here will be much healthier when you get it than one from the store. Good luck, happy growing!
By Matt
Hello Happy Planter and welcome!

Blake already answered your questions well. If you can find a local hardware store that carries them, that's the most economic way to get your first flytrap. But, as you wrote and Blake confirmed, they'll often need a bit more TLC to begin with.

Keep us updated with what you decide and take some photos of your plant when you get it :)

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!