FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By steve booth
Hi Lock

You can use a plastic container with a lid, but beware, as Bootheatsbugs found, the lack of air movement can quickly cause fungus growth. In February I damp stratify the seeds for a month (I've never tried growing them without stratification) sow on a 50 50 mix of peat and perlite, spray with fungicide, and put the seed pot on an electric propagator. germination is good, but the plants are painfully slow to grow, you are better off getting some stolon cuttings if you can.

Cheers
steve
By BoothEatsBUGS
So far none of my seeds have sprouted :( Not too sure what I'm doing wrong but I know these are some slow growers, and it hasnt been a month just yet so I'm going to hold strong and hope they germinate. On the plus side the VFT seeds I planted at the same time are sprouting :)
By BoothEatsBUGS
After checking on my seeds today I noticed the soil wasn't very damp. I think this may have something to do with no germination yet. I covered the seeds with live sphagnum moss and Saran wrap to keep the soil moist.
By Daniel_G
You covered the seeds over? Are they getting any open air or light? If not they most probably won't germinate.
By David F
BoothEatsBUGS wrote:Small update,

I had a slight mold infection in the post with the seeds, blueish white mold, I scooped out the infected soil and lightly sprayed the soil with safer sulfur based fungicide at regular strength.

Anyone have any issues using Safer on seeds?

Only better choice might have been using peroxide, sulfur based stuff is fine to use on seeds and seedlings.
By David F
:D congrats !!!
David F liked this

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!