FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By thepitchergrower
Well, the sewer outside just decide to spill. The sewage got onto my plants. Basically they are considered hazardous waste, a probably will be taken away. :(
By thepitchergrower
Well, heres a pic from the window (I didn't dare to go outside)
Attachments:
PXL_20211211_204054676.MP.jpg
PXL_20211211_204054676.MP.jpg (378.96 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
By thepitchergrower
Some are, some aren't the temperate ones are still outside. The mailman just stepped on the stuff, idk
By TrapsAndDews
I'm trying to figure out what I'm look at in the picture. Are your plants on the ground? How did the sewage get to your plants?
By Cosmickitty
Unless you plant to eat your pitchers…. I can’t imagine it could harm you, just repot them? And don’t lick your fingers while you do….
TrapsAndDews liked this
By thepitchergrower
I will see what else can be done. Yes, they were on the floor. This was not just a leak, but the sewage water bubbled up, and sprayed everything. I just came back from totally washing off whatever plants could be saved, and repotting them.
By TrapsAndDews
Was it from a sewage drain? If so, that must've been quite a big spray.
By ChefDean
Speaking as a father, it's just a little poop.
If you were to rinse the plants off, roots and all, then repot into fresh media, they should be fine. However, wear gloves when handling them for the foreseeable future.
You won't be able to spray them with Lysol to kill the bacteria they're laden with, that will probably kill the plant. Hopefully it's still warm enough where you are to put them outside. UV from direct sunlight will kill the bacteria, but it might take a few days in order for you to have a high confidence that they're dead or diminished. Put them in direct sunlight and rotate them 90 degrees every day to maximize exposure. The more days you can do this, the better.
By MikeB
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:38 pm Well, the sewer outside just decide to spill. The sewage got onto my plants. Basically they are considered hazardous waste, a probably will be taken away. :(
I need a little clarification here: Did the storm drain overflow, or did the sewage line overflow? They are two completely separate systems:
  • The storm drain contains runoff from yards and streets. The health hazard from this is pesticide, fungicide, fertilizer, motor oil, antifreeze, etc.
  • The sanitary sewer contains human output, water from sinks, etc. The health hazard here is a lot more serious due to the potential of infectious diseases.
Storm drain overflow is easier to deal with: unpot everything, throw away the soil, wash the pots in soap and water, and repot the pots. For sanitary sewer overflow, @ChefDean has the solution.
By thepitchergrower
The sewage line, I believe. Human output definitely came out, and the postman just happened to step on a piece :shock: . Unfortunately, it has been rainy and overcast for the last few days. Ill get them as much sun as I can, but for now I am mostly just not going to touch them.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!