FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ModeratelyExcessive
Hey folks, first time VFT owner with a quick question.

I live in California, so I've decided to keep my plant outside. I put it near our compost bucket so it would have easy access to tasty bugs. A couple days after putting it out, I noticed some ants in the soil and some on the plant itself. Today I noticed there were even more. It looked like they were after the flies caught in the traps. Is this bad for the plant and should I move it somewhere else? It looked like the ant-swarmed traps were starting to re-open, even though the caught prey didn't look full digested.
By Matt
Hello and welcome to flytrapcare!

Well, I've not really had many run ins with ants, but unless you notice them doing damage to your plants, I'd say that they're probably fine. Oh, and when the trap reopens after digesting, it's normal for the prey to not look fully digested. The enzymes simply dissolve the soft parts of the insect, leaving the exoskeleton and other hard parts behind.

Oh, and I love your username!
By lemonlily
Welcome to Flytrapcare!

I don't think the ants do much unless they start tearing away your plant.

And I think it is possible to overfeed the plant. But I guess if the traps are open, they can take in another bug. Since it will go dormant soon, it won't need bugs to eat. Actually they don't even need them, but I meant it probably won't eat the bugs anymore.
By dionaea muscipula
double post XD yeah ants are fine just 2 days ago i made a game bout putting 5 big ants in my terr and the last ant standing gets freedom :o welcome to the flytrapcare family
By kevinqwe
Welcome to flytrapcare!!!

i wouldnt worry about them
post some pic of your plant if you can!
By Carolyn
The ants aren't bad unless they are like.... eating your plant or something. O____O Anyways, it should be good because they are just attracted to the dead carcass of the previous bug.. So just leave it alone but move it if you feel uncomfortable. Anyways, it'll be good for your plant too, your plant will be able to catch them.. maybe. XD

Carolyn
By jiege
I think your ants will stay around the edge because of the sticky stuff product by the VFT. I maybe wrong but I had notice some of the ants in my area always stay ard the edge and looks like eating the sticky stuff.

Most of my plants are small so quite a number of them ended up eaten up by the traps :lol:
By dionaea muscipula
jiege wrote:I think your ants will stay around the edge because of the sticky stuff product by the VFT. I maybe wrong but I had notice some of the ants in my area always stay ard the edge and looks like eating the sticky stuff.

Most of my plants are small so quite a number of them ended up eaten up by the traps :lol:
???? dont you mean sundews because i have never herd of vft producing "sticky stuff"
By Aging_Bourbon
dionaea muscipula wrote:
jiege wrote:I think your ants will stay around the edge because of the sticky stuff product by the VFT. I maybe wrong but I had notice some of the ants in my area always stay ard the edge and looks like eating the sticky stuff.

???? dont you mean sundews because i have never herd of vft producing "sticky stuff"
That's so weird.. only Sundews and Butterworts have "sticky stuff"

Allen,
By Matt
The "sticky stuff" that you're referring to is Mucilage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucilage
Almost all plants make it, but sundews and butterworts make a lot more of it than most other plants.

Dionaea make it too along the rim of trap where the cilia attach to the trap lobes.
By kevinqwe
probably talkin about nectar! :idea:
By ModeratelyExcessive
Thanks for the replies and welcome everyone! Here's a photo:

It's too bad they're so close to dormancy now. I'm getting obsessed with all these different cultivars. :shock: Come spring I'll be going VFT crazy!
By dionaea muscipula
wow your plant looks great you should cut off the flower stalk because it is weakening your plant
By ModeratelyExcessive
dionaea muscipula wrote:wow your plant looks great you should cut off the flower stalk because it is weakening your plant
Already took care of it. 8-) Sometimes I can be a fast learner, haha.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!