FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By sundewman
Well, as it is, my Magenta B caps aren't getting here in time so it looks like I'll be using Mason Jars since this is the only time I have to do tc...
1. Just curious if the fully-sealed metal lids decrease success. I'm trying to start sundew seeds, so I'm debating having a light on the side of the jar versus above.

2. I'm assuming the lids should be loose when putting them in the pressure cooker? Should they be fully clamped down when once there is plant material in there, or will there be problems with having no ventilation?

Also had a weird idea and I'm not sure if it will work...
3. What if I fill a medium mason jar with a larger amount of media, put it in the pressure cooker, and then flip it on its side once I've sealed the lid fully? I then plan to pipette my sundew seeds into the jar. (I'm using a centrifuge to make things a lot easier for the large quantities of seed I'm working with...)
This way, I could have the light directly above the horizontally-laid jars, which would expose the seeds to the maximum amount of light. I could also fit a ton of seeds in there, but it will probably be pretty tough to get them out :(
By goldslinger
They work just fine, I'm told.

Yea, I would leave on a little loose when autoclaving.

If You want to ventilate, just use a nail for a small hole in top of lid center, then cover with small, round bandaid for air exchange.

Gary
By sundewman
Ah, that makes sense, and I vaguely remember reading that online somewhere now. Thanks for the refresher

Any ideas of what would happen if I flipped the mason jar on its side after pressure cooking it, and then letting it gel?....and then sowed seeds in it?
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!