FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Roman S4
Hello everyone! I have a question about lights

I'm undergraduate working on scientific work. I need to germinate flytrap seeds for it. I use data from Jang GW et al. (2003) article and there the following conditions (about light) were stated: cool-white fluorescent light (30 μmol m−2 s−1)
But I couldn't found any information about PPFD on usual lamp body (and even on plant lamp body, neither)
That's why I've bought the LED lamp (flourescent weren't in wide sell nowdays) with this properties:
* 1480 Lm
* 15 W
* 6500 K
* Ra > 80

Could anyone say whether it is suitable for seed germination and plant growing (according the data from the article).
If it isn't, what's the correct properties of lamp I should seek? (pls, say it with W, Lm and other common terms, because, I suggest, there is a short supply with relevant info about special plant lamps in my country/city)
Thanks you ahead!
By Roman S4
Hello there, yes, I have to use some artificial light for (at least) two reasons:
1. My academic advisor says we're gonna do the stuff as it's stated in the article I referred in my post
2. Windows in the laboratory are looking to the North, so there is not a lot of light, especially during wintertime
And about time frames, I have to say about light suitability tommorow, in Monday
By ChefDean
My normal response is to use direct, outdoor, unfiltered sunlight with most carnivorous plants, especially VFT's, however, that's not possible here due to your tyrannical, Martinet of an academic advisor.
I'm not user of artificial lighting, I think Mr. Sun does a fine job, but there is a forum you should explore that should answer all your questions about it. You can find it here.
By Roman S4
I understand your reaction, but for my location Mr. Sun is in a vacation for a couple of month (55* 18' N, daylight duration is less 10 hours already, and I need 12 at least) plus I should get some results and be graduated to the next summer.
Maybe I haven't said all I needed, we're gonna micropropagate this plants and with this thing is only artificial light is a possibility for stable growing conditions
By ChefDean
Understood.
Click the link I posted, the word here in my previous post. That will take you to the forum dedicated to artificial lighting, and you may find what you're looking for there while waiting for someone who has a better knowledge of it than me.
By Roman S4
At the first time I haven't seen a link to the other thread because of colours of this site. Now I've asked my question there and waiting for answers
Thank you for your reply
By MikeB
Are you doing one pot, multiple pots, or a tray? You need sufficient coverage for the light, and that may involve multiple bulbs or even a light panel.

For individual bulbs, I'm partial to SANSI full-spectrum LED grow lights. Here is the manufacturer's page for their grow light bulbs. You can compare their specs with those of your bulb.
By Roman S4
Because of doing some science, I'm growing it in the Petri dishes (hope the image will download well to be seen). It's only 5 dishes with d9cm (1 seed for one dish to decrease potential damage, if one of them gets mold)
Comapring the stuff you've send, seems, my bulb has less W, than it should be (so I'd need 20W+ lamps)

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!