FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Chloe123
Hi, recently I’ve noticed that my pots containing fresh VFT seeds have obtained quite a large algae problem. I’m not stupid and I do know I’ve overwatered the surface of the soil, but now I desperately need a way to get rid of it before it does any harm. I’ve already stopped watering it and left the humidity domes uncovered in an attempt to dry out the soil surface but it seems to have made little difference. A few seeds have started to germinate and I’m already worried about root rotting or being smothered by the algae.

For reference see the pictures below. The soil is 50/50 sphagnum and perlite. The seedlings shown are a 2-3 days since germination.
5A48E2A2-4227-40BE-A7B9-AD6D982C7229.jpeg
5A48E2A2-4227-40BE-A7B9-AD6D982C7229.jpeg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 1045 times
C2306A2D-27F0-4DD2-AA0A-1C95DD1C3A5E.jpeg
C2306A2D-27F0-4DD2-AA0A-1C95DD1C3A5E.jpeg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 1045 times
By hollyhock
Here is my advice. Prepare a new pot of medium. If you are going to use LFSM and perlite again rinse your LFSM about 3 times. Squeeze all the extra water out between rinsings. Then mix it with your rinsed perlite. After you put your new medium into a new pot carefully with tweezers and probably a magnifying glass transfer your newly germinated seeds to the new medium. Spray it down with water, but not to hard with the sprayer, to get good contact of the seeds with the medium. Then cover the pot with a baggie or Saran wrap and put it under your lights. You shouldn't have to water very often. Your seedlings are small enough that you won't risk damage to roots because they don't really have any yet. Good growing
hollyhock, hollyhock liked this
By Chloe123
hollyhock wrote:Here is my advice. Prepare a new pot of medium. If you are going to use LFSM and perlite again rinse your LFSM about 3 times. Squeeze all the extra water out between rinsings. Then mix it with your rinsed perlite. After you put your new medium into a new pot carefully with tweezers and probably a magnifying glass transfer your newly germinated seeds to the new medium. Spray it down with water, but not to hard with the sprayer, to get good contact of the seeds with the medium. Then cover the pot with a baggie or Saran wrap and put it under your lights. You shouldn't have to water very often. Your seedlings are small enough that you won't risk damage to roots because they don't really have any yet. Good growing
Thanks for the sound advice! By chance I do have another 2 pots of rinsed LFSM and perlite which I previously used for vegetive propagation (unsuccessfully). But I still have the pots which are considerably drier and haven’t obtained any algae/ mould yet. I’ll definitely give it a shot! Thanks once again, and I hope you have a great day!

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!