FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Serial_Seth
I am curious if measuring a water source’s alkalinity would be a better indicator of a water quality versus due to many compounds that may be picked up by the tds test may be inert to the plant being water.

Do most suggest tds because it is cheaper and less dangerous to perform?

Also, why aren’t people suggesting the testing of ammonia nitrogen, nitrite, and nitrate?

Since, all of those are aqueous compounds and will not be picked up by a tds test. The are also found in the majority of municipal water supplies, because wide use of chloramines.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
By optique
I am not a water chemistry expert, but to my understanding Salt or NaCl itself does not drastically change the pH or total alkalinity. That being said it's what kills most carnivorous plants when using harder water. Its not that other factors couldn't kill the or burn the plant, its just that sodium chloride leached from the ground is the most common issue, and a TDS tester is the best cheap and easy way to test for the majority of issues with harder water.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!