FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tish
Hi all, I came home today and notice a lot of ants in my pot of red piranha. Traps were ALL closed. I'm worried if they keep coming back. Will they damage my vft. Also if they build their nest in my soil. It could damage the roots. These normal black and small house ants won't eat the vft. But still ....

Anyway, i search this forum and found 2 ways people suggest.

1 put some uncook rice in the soil. If they eat it. It will expand and they will die.

2 put pepper near by. It keeps the ant away.

My question, can i just put some uncook rice and pour a little coocking pepper in the soil? Will it keep the ants away, and is it harmful to my plant?

Please help.

Thanks
By tom_e_boi
I'm thinking that I've heard the use for black pepper before, back when I was a kid, to keep ants away. I believe that it was a tip for keeping them away from your food if you're having a picnic or something similar. You wouldn't need to sprinkle it directly into the pots, just around the pots or around the legs of the table (if you have them up on a table, for instance). I remember it because, (being a curious little kid) after I read that, I went outside and sprinkled some pepper on an ant trail to see what would happen. All the ants went running in every direction away from it, HaHa! :lol:

As for the rice? I doubt it'd be all that effective. Sure some ants might eat it and die, but wherever there are ants, there are a lot more that you don't see. So it wouldn't really put a significant dent in their total population, much less keep them out of your CP's (which is the main objective here). Plus, once you water your plants, that dried rice will absorb water and swell up, defeating the whole purpose of using it in the 1st place.
tom_e_boi liked this
By xr280xr
I had ants living in my pots last year when I shifted them from outdoor to indoor growth. They lived there up until winter and seemed to have a symbiotic relationship. They would eat the nectar off my traps and the smaller traps would eat the ants. Since the VFTs were providing food, they didn't roam around my house. They didn't do any harm to the roots and may have even helped keep the soil aerated. Not sure about pepper or rice though!
xr280xr liked this
By Goodkoalie
Just keep the ants> I have about 3 different nests in my outdoor plants. As said above, they keep the soil areated, kept other pests out of the plants, and as a plus, the are feeding my sarrs. Those things are really effective ant killers. I have a few newly open leucophylla leafs that are already falling over from the weight of so many ants.
Goodkoalie liked this
By tish
Wow,

Thanks for all the advise guys! As much as I like to keep them in the soil now. I can't because the pots are in a guest room window sill. I have to keep the ants away else they'll be ugly sight in the room. I'll try pepper around the pots and spray insecticide around the room this weekend. The soil and the ants together. Maybe when I have my own outdoor area :(
By beckhamlim24
I doubt there is a need to chase those ants away. The ants are a very good source of food! Just let the ants infest the pot and allow nature to take its course. If you are really worried, just submerge the pot in water (not the plant) and then repot it. Maybe t there is something decomposing in the red piranha soil.
By tish
The red piranha is a grave yard. There are spiders, ants, flies in the traps before the ants came. So I wonders...

Anyway after I sprinkle pepper all over the window. The ants left for now :D

The ants went to the cupped trap after I took the red piranha pot away to check. :lol: but now they're gone don't worry.

Fingered from my Galaxy Nexus
By xr280xr
tish wrote: Anyway after I sprinkle pepper all over the window. The ants left for now :D
Outside I hope? :shock:
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!