FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Lee
Hello,

After moving my capensis indoors I noticed they have been losing color, they are all growing strongly under a 6500k light do I need a 2700k light as well?

Thanks

Lee
By roarke
No. It tells that if you only have one "2500K-3100K - red spectrum for flowering and redder coloration", you will have that. But than, other plant requirements will suffer. 6500 for me is no problem for all requirements.
By SundewWolf
My capensis alba is inside by my windows. I just barely supplement its lighting with a cheap 120v 13w desk lamp. I dont even know what its "K" value or luemens is.

It's flowered twice in the past two months, seeds have all sprouted now, and it continues to do well. So i'm not sure it needs any lighting that's too special.

But then again you can say I'm not really trying to color up an albino plant, But this same desk lamp has colored up my D. Adelae pretty well. As for the lower K range, I have heard that the lower "K" range helps with blooming and color, but like roarke said i'm under the impression that a 6500K should cover all the requirements.

Maybe there is another issue for them loosing color? Doesn't seem likely since when my Adelae's were loosing color it was just a case of light, but it seems preety strange to me that your capensis would be loosing its color under decent lighting.

Also, I think the cheapest lighting option is to get a/or some CFL bulbs from a hardware store along with a cheap $10 fixture to screw them into. This is what I did to give light for my mangroves.

It should cost you like maybe $15 together for the lower K bulb and fixture at Lowes or Home Depot if you can find it there. So I don't think it should be a big deal to give your plants the lower K range. I would go and give it a shot.

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

You are spot on with your own points.rubra rubra s[…]

I am definitely not with it today I can’t fi[…]

Early requests are not allowed, you'll need to mak[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!