FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sirred90
sorry about the mistake
Last edited by sirred90 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By sirred90
you all are right i found the email it came from a site by the name of flytrapshop.com
the one shown in the pictures have died i checked the rhizome and it was completely black and i got me another one today a green venus fly trap and can i feed it a dead fly as long as it hasnt been killed using a insecticide i killed this one using a old fashioned fly swat
Attachments:
this is the one i got from lowes
this is the one i got from lowes
2011-03-23 21.27.43.jpg (382.38 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
Last edited by sirred90 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By tc3driver
I agree with Matt, I would also add that it is probably a good idea to remove it from that cube, we don't call em' death cubes for nothing.

Depending on where you live, it is probably easier to grow your fly trap outside, where it can soak up as much sun as it can.

I never recommend feeding dead bugs to fly traps, it can be done, but isn't easy, and can damage the traps.

I have another point on the feeding thing, Fly traps can go a very very very long time with out feeding. Most, I would speculate, can live off of one or two bugs a growing season. Also I would say concentrate on getting that Fly trap healthy before feeding it, feeding an unhealthy Fly trap may exacerbate health issues.
By sirred90
i will give it as much natural light as i can but on days like today when the wind is high and its storming outside will a fluorescent light work as a artificial light source for the vft
By Matt
sirred90 wrote:i will give it as much natural light as i can but on days like today when the wind is high and its storming outside will a fluorescent light work as a artificial light source for the vft
There's no need to supplement the light for a flytrap growing outside. They experience cloudy and windy days in their natural habitat as well :)

But yes, flytraps grow well under fluorescent lights.
By sirred90
i am growing it inside i just got it today and they didnt have it in very well lighting and i dont all the time have time to put it in natural light cause my grandmother raises chickens and if i raised it outside they would for sure get in the flower pot that it is in and start scratching more than likely killing the plant and i cant keep it in the window cause my bed is at the window but i will put it in the sun when i can
By Gothic TRAPS
I'm sorry to say this sirred90, but your VFT has past with root rot :(. I'm saying this from experience as many here may have during their first experiences with VFTs. Root rot always occurs when the plant begins to turn brown from the centre of the crown first and spreads outward through the green of the leaves. When the growing media is really wet with unsufficient lighting, the recipe is there. Mineral burn from improper water would result in deformed browning and/or spotting on the leaves (as if it were crippled). A VFT from this state may have a chance at survival if treated quickly and properly with the right elements of growing. As suggested earlier by Steve_D, learn from this experience and pick up another cheap VFT and carry on your ventures. Unfortunately, us CP growers early on have gone through this sort of thing one way or another and we are all here to help.

Good luck ;).
By sirred90
the new fly trap i got it had caught its own food and started too close the trap didnt close all the way what would cause that it was just a little gnat so it wasnt too big for the fly trap
By tc3driver
sirred90 wrote:the new fly trap i got it had caught its own food and started too close the trap didnt close all the way what would cause that it was just a little gnat so it wasnt too big for the fly trap
That is a normal reaction for a flytrap that is unhealthy... or could simply be an old trap. Give it time, and proper care, and the new growth should produce properly functioning traps. ;)

Best of luck man!
By Mannex
Alright here's what you need to do and I guarantee you will have the biggest and coolest VFT on the block. It will look so cool your chickens will be scared of it.

Environment

This is the most crucial part of growing flytraps, and will have the most effect on how healthy and big your plant gets. This is much, much more important than feeding.

Remove that plastic "terrarium cube", throw it away, put a curse on it so it can't come back. That is only for protection while shipping, and if you grow the flytrap with it on, it will suffocate and die guaranteed.

Set the now-uncovered pot in a small bowl or tray with a little distilled water, and put it outside, preferably up high on something so the chickens can't get into it. Ask your grandma, she might be able to help you find a place. Don't worry about "partial shade" or whatever, find somewhere that gets the full sun beating down on it. A flytrap will do ten times better outside than inside. Flytraps need lots of hot, natural sun. Keeping one inside will lead to pale color and long sickly growth.

The first few days it's outside, the existing leaves might get red looking. This is basically "sunburn" because your flytrap is a wuss and is used to being inside in low-light conditions. The new leaves and traps it will put out will be tough and won't get sunburn. In the outside sun the inside of the traps will color up and it will look great.

If you absolutely must grow it inside, I suggest buying a small bendy-neck desk lamp and the highest watt Compact Fluorescent spiral bulb you can find, and putting the bulb extremely close to the plant. Like literally 3-4 inches away from the plant. Don't use regular incandescent bulbs because they produce too much heat for very little light, and will dry out your flytrap.

Feeding

Don't worry too much about "feeding" the plant. A flytrap can grow big and healthy without ever eating a bug, and if it grows outside it will catch enough bugs on its own. Feeding is mostly "just for fun". Live bugs work best but can walk out of the traps, triggering them without being caught which is a bummer. Feeding them dead bugs can be done and is a great way to feed, just make sure they're freshly killed and not dried out shells that have been sitting on a basement windowsill. The way a trap works, you will have to do a little work to get them to properly digest dead bugs for reasons I will explain.

Traps trigger when something touches two of the six trigger hairs, or one trigger hair twice. Touch a hair once, and the trap is primed and at attention. Touch it again and BANG it snaps shut. But this isn't the end of the process.

Trap closing and digestion takes a lot of energy out of the leaf. Each trap can only close and digest 2 or 3 times before it is "worn out" and will no longer work. (don't worry, your plant will be replacing old traps with new ones constantly) The plant doesn't want to waste precious energy on twigs or little pieces of leaves that might fall in the trap in nature, so it has a clever way of detecting whether the object it caught is alive or not before sealing itself airtight and starting digestion.

You'll notice that when a trap first closes, it's loosely closed and you can see inside through the eyelash parts. If there's a bug in there you can look closely in and see it running around in there. Now, when the bug keeps freaking out and moving around, it keeps touching the trigger hairs from the inside. This is how the trap knows it has a live meal. After touching the hairs some more from the inside, the trap will seal itself airtight around the edges and fill with digestive juices and melt and drink the bug.

If you put a dead bug or twig or pebble inside the trap and it closes, if the hairs don't get further stimulated, the trap will open back up and "let it go" without beginning the digestion stage. If you want it to eat freshly killed bugs you will have to stick them in the trap, touch the hairs and close it, and then after it's closed get a tiny pin and carefully reach in through the gaps in the eyelashes and flick some trigger hairs a few more times. An hour later when the trap is sealed you will know it worked. (This may also be done without the pin by very gently squeezing the sides of the closed trap with your fingers but this might weaken the trap and it's been a while since I've grown flytraps so I might be wrong. you'll have to test it out yourself)

When the trap opens back up, only a hollow exoskeleton may be left, which will either fall out from the wind or get washed away from a raindrop. (although if it stays there and goes though another feeding cycle, it's no problem. trying to remove exoskeletons may accidentally trigger the trap closed again)

When feeding try to keep bugs no larger than 2/3 the size of the trap. Feeding it something that's too big will be too much for it, and the trap will rot and die. If a bug only gets trapped partially or has a leg sticking out the side, the trap may rot from that end and die. I don't know where you live but if I fed my traps the big black ants I have crawling around my house the traps would get a black spot where the ant's head was and rot, so some bugs might have acids or enzymes the traps can't handle. Don't worry though, because new healthy traps are constantly being produced. Go nuts.
By victor
Did you really type all that or was it copy, pasted from another article?
By victor
WOW! Thats impressive.

I think you might have a post thats bigger than any of John's posts. :lol:

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!