FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
I'm doing some early Spring repotting, and finally decided to repot this densely overgrown clump of Fine Tooth x Red Venus Flytraps. 2 years ago this was a single plant; now it looks like it has a couple dozen or more mature divisions. Several of them will be repotted into a "mother pot" (a large community pot nice and deep) for my personal stock and seed production, and the rest will be potted individually for sale later in the year at FlytrapStore.com. The disposable razor in the photo is just to provide scale.
VFT-clump-in-need-of-repotting.jpg
VFT-clump-in-need-of-repotting.jpg (88.44 KiB) Viewed 5806 times
Below is a photo of three of the larger divisions of the Fine Tooth x Red Venus Flytrap in the photo above, repotted into an 8-inch (20 centimeter) diameter polyurethane foam pot. These are planted in a sphagnum-free coconut-husk pith (sometimes called coir) growing mix, a 6/3/2 mix of 6 parts dry, fluffy, desalinated coir, 3 parts silica sand and 2 parts small pieces of evergreen bark (small "orchid bark"), measured by volume, not weight.
Fine-Tooth-x-Red_after-repotting.jpg
Fine-Tooth-x-Red_after-repotting.jpg (98.22 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
Steve_D, Steve_D liked this
By Steve_D
Updated original post at beginning of discussion to include photo of several of the plants after repotting into reasonably large "mother pot" (a community pot of mature plants). :)
Steve_D liked this
By JuanCruz
That's really amazing. I don't think I've seen so many traps together before, haha. By the plant's color and the traps' teeth I can tell you really know how to grow VFT's. Very nice.

Eso es realmente alucinante. No creo haber visto antes tantas trampas juntas, jaja. Por el color de la planta y los dientes de las trampas, me doy cuenta de que realmente sabes cultivar Venus Atrapamoscas. Muy lindo.
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:I'd be interested in seeing some of the other divisions that you potted up for sale too.
4 or 5 of the divisions of this Fine Tooth x Red will be listed at FlytrapStore.com as premium sized plants in 5-7 weeks. They are multi-year mature Flytraps with BIG rhizomes! :P
Steve_D liked this
By Steve_D
yinepu wrote:Have you found the coir mix to be superior to sand/peat or perlite/peat mixes?
I'm still experimenting with the coir. In a year or two I will have a clearer understanding and comparison between the coir media and traditional sphagnum peat based media. I do like the consistency of the coir media very much, and have planted quite a few plants into it (as I have refined my own mix recipe). Those plants are growing well (now that I've learned how to desalinate the coir).

I plan to post some photos of one of the coir experiments in perhaps 6-8 weeks. I planted two groups of 3 B52 Venus Flytraps of all about the same size and maturity, in identical pots and grown in identical conditions, but one group of 3 planted in a sphagnum mix and the other in a coir mix. They were potted in April of last year and grew all season in their respective growing media. I'm not going to transplant them this year, but instead will photograph them for Forum members to compare the plants grown in the two media.

SO, results are not yet in about coir, but its use looks promising so far, especially as an alternative to sphagnum peat moss, using an endlessly plentiful and renewing resource (coconuts) instead of depleting sphagnum peat bogs faster than they can grow. :)
By samw
Wow, these were just begging to be repotted, I though that the plantlets would unattach itsef from the mother plants. V nice!
By yinepu
Steve_D wrote: I plan to post some photos of one of the coir experiments in perhaps 6-8 weeks.
I'll be looking forward to seeing those pictures... as well as your results once you have made your final evaluation

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!