FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By munchie16201
Hi
I have a nice big venus fly trap. It is a red dragon i do believe. I know they are very capable of catching their own food. Cause mine just caught a big snapper bug last week,and it just opened up a few days ago. Ok might be a mean question depending on the way you look at it.but my pet store sells frozen pinky mice and live pinky mice,i asked the guy that worked there if my venus fly trap would be able to eat a pinky mouse. He just laughed and said there is no way my vft is big enough to eat a pinky mouse. So i was wondering since it is big enough to eat one of these,would it be alright to give one to my fly trap? Or would it only kill it or what? Can you please let me know?
Also my fly trap is healthy but it has lots of smaller traps at the bottom that are not getting any bigger. These traps were like this for maybe 2 months? They are all tiny green traps. In total counting the tiny traps there are bout 14 traps in all. Should i worry bout these tiny traps or will they mature next year?

Thanks
By Daniel_G
Tho' flytraps like to eat, there is no way it will be able to eat a pinky, the entire thing is just too different to a insect.

Just stick to flies. Also, traps do not mature, once they open, that's their size. If they are getting smaller, you might want to give it more light, or simply better care. It may be a smaller division growing tho'. If the is a division, don't worry, the larger traps belong to the older plant, and the smaller, to the younger.
By gino
I wonder how big your venus fly trap is that you even contemplated on giving it pinky mouse. You should take a picture of it with a measuring tape or something, then post it here!
By Grey
As far as I know flies do not contain much if any fat whereas mammals such as pinky mice do have some fat reserves; from what I've learned feeding your plant something that contains fat (like mince meat for example) can harm the plant in the long run. I'd also imagine the plant simply is not designed to eat mice so personally I wouldn't risk it.
By munchie16201
Thanks for the help. I thought it would hurt my vft thats why i asked before feeding it one. My plant has 3 or 4 good sized traps and alot smaller ones at the bottom. I will take a picture of it and post it when i get the time. Where should i post it at on this site?
By slark78
Smaller traps at the bottom of a mature plant can also indicate natural divisions, and yes the traps coming from that part of the rhizome will be more mature (larger) next year, but maybe not fully mature.
By Daniel_G
munchie16201 wrote:Thanks for the help. I thought it would hurt my vft thats why i asked before feeding it one. My plant has 3 or 4 good sized traps and alot smaller ones at the bottom. I will take a picture of it and post it when i get the time. Where should i post it at on this site?
You can post it in the "Photos of venus flytraps" section Here
Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome to the forum!

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

First flower stalk on VFT

I might let the biggest flower stalk flower but c[…]

I repotted some of the vft's from the flower stal[…]

Is this a steal?

The first one is a Nepenthes x 'Ventrata' like Pan[…]

...and now you know better how to plan. ;)

My two go to choices are https://www.greenhouseme[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!