003.JPG (855.21 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
001.PNG
001.PNG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 5896 times
002.PNG
002.PNG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 5896 times
IMG_0557[1].PNG
IMG_0557[1].PNG (1015.74 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
Hey guys,

I just wanted to show you all pictures of my ultrahighland chamber. I worked since December planning and constructing an environment suitable for highland and ultrahighland Nepenthes species. It maintains a day temperature of 75-80 degrees and a night time temperature of 50-57 degrees. It also maintains a relative humidity of 80%+ at all times. This is a really efficient alternative to a greenhouse if you only want to grow a few species. Arizona is too hot for a greenhouse and maintenance for one is quite expensive. (at least for 15 year old :lol: ) All credit goes to Jeff Shafer and Brad from Brad's greenhouse. Those guys really helped me with the design.

-Bruno
Last edited by BrunoL on Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
BrunoL, BrunoL liked this
By SEWinans
Looks fantastic! Nice work!!
Would you be willing to tell me how you did it? That's exactly what I would like to build.
By BrunoL
SEWinans wrote:Looks fantastic! Nice work!!
Would you be willing to tell me how you did it? That's exactly what I would like to build.
First, I bought a chest freezer from craigslist and removed the lid by unscrewing the hinges on the back of the freezer. I then constructed a wooden frame using 2 by 4s to fit nicely on top of the freezer. I coated it with polyurethane to protect the wood from rot because of the high humidity inside. I applied latex caulk to the edges of the freezer and I placed the wooden frame onto the caulk. I then placed the original lid onto the frame and I put weights on it to secure a firm seal. After 3 days, I removed the weights and lid and I began to construct the platform on which the plants would rest. The platform is made of some PVC pipe and "egg crate light diffuser". For the lid I bought some plexiglass and cut it to fit the top of the wooden frame. At first, I wanted to just have the plexiglass rest by itself on the top but my dad convinced me to make a wooden frame for the plaxiglass as well. So we basically made a window for my chamber. :lol: After the lid's completion, I began to work on the control system. I bought a Zoo Med Hygrotherm to control both the humidity and the temperature. I hooked up the freezer to the temperature control socket and I hooked up an extension cord to the humidity control socket. I drilled a hole into the side of the wooden frame and I inserted the tube that came on the Zoo Med Reptifogger, a humidifier. I plugged in the Reptifogger and a fan called Flippi (made by Vornado, one of the best fan companies I know) to promote air circulation. For the finishing touches, I applied weather stripping along the edges to prevent humidity from escaping and I placed a T5 on top which is controlled by a timer. I set the temperature and humidity settings and Voila! Now I have an environment for ultrahighlanders! When the T5 turns off at night, a photocell on the Hygrotherm automatically turns on the freezer and the air cools down to 50-57 degrees.
Weights on top to press down frame
Weights on top to press down frame
IMG_0497[1].JPG (883.92 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
Temperature/humidity control
Temperature/humidity control
IMG_0794[1].JPG (516.2 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
Caulk used to seal frame onto freezer
Caulk used to seal frame onto freezer
IMG_0796[1].JPG (487.52 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
IMG_0799[1].JPG
IMG_0799[1].JPG (856.83 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
IMG_0797[1].JPG
IMG_0797[1].JPG (615.04 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
BrunoL, BrunoL, BrunoL liked this
By ruruanta
Interesting! Could you share the steps and items you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By JMH
Awesome setup for a very demanding enviroment! Good job!
By killerplants4realz
Very sweet highland chamber! What are you going to do when the plants get bigger? Are you only going to keep a small collection? I could see you running out of space fast. But then again I have no idea what your intentions are? What CPs are those? How long did it take to make?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
By katya_dog1
Looks like there is a macrophylla and a lowii in there with the two others.... Yeah, you're eventually going to run out of room, but you'll get plenty of time for enjoyment of those plants before that.

Nice build, looks very good!
By BrunoL
killerplants4realz wrote:Very sweet highland chamber! What are you going to do when the plants get bigger? Are you only going to keep a small collection? I could see you running out of space fast. But then again I have no idea what your intentions are? What CPs are those? How long did it take to make?

katya_dog1 wrote:Looks like there is a macrophylla and a lowii in there with the two others.... Yeah, you're eventually going to run out of room, but you'll get plenty of time for enjoyment of those plants before that.

Nice build, looks very good!
As an answer to both your questions, by the time they outgrow the chamber, I'll have a greenhouse. ;) Luckily, these plants don't grow too fast. That is a good and bad thing. :lol:

@killerplants4realz - I'm going to limit myself to a few species only. I'm looking for quality, not quantity in my Neps. ;) There are two macrophyllas, a lowii and a cephalotus in there.
@katya_dog1, njamban303, SEWinans, Kiss Megan, JMH, ruruanta, Chipi3s, chevyguy8893 - Thanks guys! Those compliments mean a lot to me!
By killerplants4realz
Very nice plants on your list I understand now those are expensive plants:) Well I hope your Plants grow well and that you get a nice green house going also happy growing man!

By Cory
Good job.
Nice craftsmanship

Macros will grow a lot faster than the lowii. But you will have some room for quite some time
Cory liked this
By BrunoL
Hey guys,
Here is an update on my chamber. I added some live sphagnum moss around the Nepenthes to increase the humidity and to make the chamber stand out a little more. My N. lowii and macrophylla are growing very quickly. I'm quite surprised at their growth rate even without coffee or MaxSea! Cory, or any other experienced Nep grower, do you think the temperatures, lighting and humidity are adequate for a N. edwardsiana, N. hamata and a few Helis? I'm getting those from Wistuba this September. I upgraded the lighting from 2 to 4 T5 bulbs, humidity is always at or above 80%, temps during day are 78 degrees F and at night 50-55 degrees and air circulation is excellent.
Complete View of Chamber w/Live Sphagnum Moss
Complete View of Chamber w/Live Sphagnum Moss
IMG_0847[1].JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5528 times
Nepenthes Lowii
Nepenthes Lowii
IMG_0838[1].JPG (631.17 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
Nepenthes lowii pitcher
Nepenthes lowii pitcher
003.JPG (326.71 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
N. lowii pitcher
N. lowii pitcher
002.JPG (344.32 KiB) Viewed 5522 times
N. macrophylla
N. macrophylla
005.JPG (648 KiB) Viewed 5522 times
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!