FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Adelaide
Hey all,

One of my other (but related) hobbies is building naturalistic terrariums. Thought I'd share some pics here of a project I just completed. I plan to get dart frogs for this in the spring. :)

https://vimeo.com/193897651

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Adelaide, Adelaide liked this
By Wikiwakawakawee
Nice! Thats gonna look sweet when it all grows out! The first vivarium I made had a waterfall in the middle with java moss growing in there, but algae became a huge problem for me...What do you do to keep algae from growing on your drip wall?
By Adelaide
Hm, this tank is onky a week old, so fingers crossed it doesn't grow algae. But honestly I don't think it will. I have another terrarium with a drip wall using the same moss that's been running for a year and no algae there either. Not sure why yours would've grown algae, do you have any pics?

By Wikiwakawakawee
Well its at my parents home right now, but i just had a false bottom with a pump to make the waterfall... did you put a filter or whats your set up like?
By Wikiwakawakawee
Oh and what type of water do you use? I was using aged tap water, thats probably why. Got any pictures of the other vivarium thats already been set up??? :)
By Adelaide
This one is a false bottom and a pump too, but the moss acts as a filter (theoretically). Water is tap. Here's an in-process pic if it helps?

This is my one that has been running about a year now, also just a pump, but the water is drawn through mesh and quite a bit of gravel before it gets there. Water stays nice and clear, I am very pleased with the results of the 'natural filter' as I call it.

(This last pic has an unsightly rock pile and canister filter just sitting in the water - my husband just put them in there because we moved our fire bellies there so I could use their old tank for the viv I originally posted about.)

Other then these I have a planted tank with toads (not pretty) and a 1 gallon scratched up tank from goodwill with a foam background and bladderworts (obviously also not very pretty).

By Wikiwakawakawee
How often do you change the water? I noticed that if i changed the water every day that it would prevent algae from forming, but that was a lot of work :|
By Adelaide
Once a month...

By Adelaide
Tank is a little over a month old now. Happy to report no algae on the drip wall - on which the sheet moss is beginning to come back to life. Added a few more plants, moss growth taking off, and little ferns popping up all-over from the fronds I put in the leaf bed. Decided against darts for this tank as I'm worried about them getting under the false bottom through the water feature. Going to go with tree frogs.

https://vimeo.com/199095093

Adelaide, Adelaide liked this
By Adelaide
Thanks grey, little bummed the video didn't work.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!