FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Nauz

They are great for grows... Thought this was a neat pic of some eggs I found in my culture I've got.
Nauz, Nauz, Nauz and 1 others liked this
By tannerm
They gross me out. Lol

- Forum Admin (sent from my iPhone)
By Wikiwakawakawee
Wow those are incredibly tiny! Nice shot! Haha i probably would have never noticed them. :)
By Lex
Would springtails only be useful in a terrarium?

Sent from my VF695 using Tapatalk
By Nauz
Lex wrote:Would springtails only be useful in a terrarium?

They can be useful in any pot. Be it outside, in your terrarium or windowsill.
By Lex
Thanks for the reply. Think I will get a colony, will be interesting to see how they get on.

By Beaver746
Why are they useful? Haha sorry I've never head or seen springtails. Are they helpful because they feed the cp or do they help in other ways? Wouldn't they go everywhere if you kept them inside?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Grey
Wow, this is an amazing photo! I have a springtail colony in with my pet cockroaches and they like to lay eggs on the underside of the stones in the vivarium.

Beaver746, springtails are awesome! They eat mold and fungi, so are really useful in closed systems like a terrarium, or in moist plant pots because they help to keep the soil in good health. And yes, if you have them inside and they breed like mad, you will find them everywhere surrounding the immediate vicinity of the terrarium. I find them crawling up the walls around my cockroach tank quite frequently but they don't bother me anymore (it used to bug me quite a bit hehe). I try not to leave foodstuffs out and about because of it, mind. To be fair, my terrarium is on its side rather than stood up, so the springtails have quite an easy job getting out and roaming as it has a mesh lid and the stones are right next to it.
By Aozora
for a year or two ago i found a tiny 25L aquarium which i could take for free because there was a tiny crack in the side so it couldnt hold water anymore, i decided to make a little garden in it with some grass, moss and a few small plants found in my garden. a few days after it was completed i noticed that there were quite a lot of tiny black jumping insects, i never really cared about it because it was just some tiny side project (has been standing outside and out of sight). but now its 2 years later they still live and i found out that they are called springtails.

and it seems like from the posts above that they are quite usefull for a terrarium. but i was just wondering that when you put them in a terrarium, dont they reproduce extremely fast and take over the terrarium?

i read that they eat mold and algues (algues have been forming on top of my peat) so they might be really usefull, but im not sure if i like the idea that when im looking at my plants i also see thousands of springtails running around.
By Leathal_Traps
Aozora wrote:for a year or two ago i found a tiny 25L aquarium which i could take for free because there was a tiny crack in the side so it couldnt hold water anymore, i decided to make a little garden in it with some grass, moss and a few small plants found in my garden. a few days after it was completed i noticed that there were quite a lot of tiny black jumping insects, i never really cared about it because it was just some tiny side project (has been standing outside and out of sight). but now its 2 years later they still live and i found out that they are called springtails.

and it seems like from the posts above that they are quite usefull for a terrarium. but i was just wondering that when you put them in a terrarium, dont they reproduce extremely fast and take over the terrarium?

i read that they eat mold and algues (algues have been forming on top of my peat) so they might be really usefull, but im not sure if i like the idea that when im looking at my plants i also see thousands of springtails running around.
They won't "overtake" a terrarium. They sort of serve as janitors cleaning up rotting up material. I have never had thousand of springtails, probably a few hundred but since they are so small you don't regularly see them. If the population rises to much, they're going to run out of food and their population will drop again. Springtails are also great because they are free food for cps!
By Nauz
Leathal_Traps wrote:
Aozora wrote:for a year or two ago i found a tiny 25L aquarium which i could take for free because there was a tiny crack in the side so it couldnt hold water anymore, i decided to make a little garden in it with some grass, moss and a few small plants found in my garden. a few days after it was completed i noticed that there were quite a lot of tiny black jumping insects, i never really cared about it because it was just some tiny side project (has been standing outside and out of sight). but now its 2 years later they still live and i found out that they are called springtails.

They won't "overtake" a terrarium. They sort of serve as janitors cleaning up rotting up material. I have never had thousand of springtails, probably a few hundred but since they are so small you don't regularly see them. If the population rises to much, they're going to run out of food and their population will drop again. Springtails are also great because they are free food for cps!
They usually like to live underground to. I usually see them when I flood my cephalotus pots. But I do notice them walking up cephalotus pitchers and jumping in. I've even opened up a pitcher with tons of dead ones inside.
By Aozora
Nauz wrote:
Leathal_Traps wrote:

They usually like to live underground to. I usually see them when I flood my cephalotus pots. But I do notice them walking up cephalotus pitchers and jumping in. I've even opened up a pitcher with tons of dead ones inside.

Alright, thanks. I'll give it a shot and see how it works out :p

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!