FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By tc3driver
Ok, so it may not be news that silica sand is/was found...

The real news is where it was found!

I was cruising Home Depot today looking for a shelving unit to move my out-door plants... Since Matt, and Steve were out of soil ( :cry: ) I have had to go forth and construct my own, perlite and peat moss, no problem, local nursery had it... Silica sand... No go...

so I was meandering around the garden center, and was looking for sand, also looked in the pool supplies area... nope... One of the employees in the garden center came up and asked "what are you looking for" I replied Pure Silica Sand... She looked puzzled, I said I use it for soil drainage... she said... well I don't know if we have it, but you will find our largest selection of sand in the masonry section... So I hoofed it across the store... and low and behold there is was, 100 LBs of Silica sand... for the insane price of $7.69...

So it CAN be found at the big box stores... you just have to know where to look...

I hope this makes life easier for others out there :)
By cat1560
good luck geting that to your car :lol: :lol:
By Steve_D
just5398 wrote:WOW, that's a lot of sand!
No, it's just very, very heavy! :) The bags are fairly small, but it's getting harder and harder for this old man to lift and carry those 100 pound bags of silica sand. :)
By tc3driver
just5398 wrote:WOW, that's a lot of sand!
Not really... it will probably last me a year or so... maybe >.>
cat1560 wrote:good luck geting that to your car :lol: :lol:
This is why you never assume, I drive a Truck (with an 8 inch lift and 35 inch tires if you must ask :P ) and I had no problem with it really... I am a big guy... and am relatively strong :P
Steve_D wrote:No, it's just very, very heavy! :) The bags are fairly small, but it's getting harder and harder for this old man to lift and carry those 100 pound bags of silica sand. :)
Steve, you are only as old as you want to be :P hit the weights every other day and I think you would be pleasantly surprised how easy man handling those bags gets :P
By Steve_D
tc3driver wrote:Steve, you are only as old as you want to be :P hit the weights every other day a
That's not a bad idea, tc3driver. I'll think about it. :)

Glad you found some silica sand locally. It's easy to make your own growing medium with it. I'm using plenty of silica sand in my experimental coir mixes as well.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. :)
By Hayden
Nice find! This morning I was watching a tv advert and saw a bag of sharp sand on it, may try and contact them for some too!
Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

I am definitely not with it today I can’t fi[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!