FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
I thought it might be interesting to compare how we nurse our CP through Winter or grow them inside year-round.

The first picture is my 48 x 72 x 18 wheeled wire rack. It's wrapped on 5 sides with "Reflect-It", a mylar foil coated bubble wrap insulation. It is lit with a variety of LEDs, 300W MarsHydros, 75W Hgrope, and some 100W equivs. They're controlled by an astronomical timer synced to local latitude. The reflective material rolls up on one side so I can work with my plants.
Grow tent 002.jpg
Grow tent 002.jpg (142 KiB) Viewed 5700 times

This second picture is the grow rack with the reflective insulation rolled down. It conserves light and heat this way. My temperatures are varying from 77 day to 59 night recently. Humidity varies from 70 percent night to 30 percent day.

Grow tent 001.jpg
Grow tent 001.jpg (151.21 KiB) Viewed 5700 times

I also have a little 10 gallon tropical tank sitting on the floor that will be incorporated into the grow rack one of these days. Its lights are on a separate astronomical timer with a tropical latitude photoperiod.

Grow tent 003.jpg
Grow tent 003.jpg (88.67 KiB) Viewed 5700 times

What's in your indoor growing setup?

Good growing,
Mike
By Benurmanii
My indoor basement setup consists of most of my collection.

First we have my highland terrarium. During the fall/winter seasons temps are usually 68-70 during the day, and 58 and below and night. It all depends on how much it cools off at night, and at what times I open and close the windows (open at night to cool-off the terrarium and setup for my tuberous Drosera). I have been really inconsistent with when I open and close the windows, as I am lazy. On the weekend, the windows often don't get closed until 10 am or even later, depending on how much I sleep in. I usually have to turn on a heater to try and warm things back up before night sets in.

Fortunately, most of my plants in this area appreciate cool days, so my only worry is for my P. cubensis and the more intermediate Nepenthes
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (88.83 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (76.72 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
Here is the setup that was originally intended for tuberous Drosera (lights are on a more temperate light-cycle). However, it ended up getting filled with Pings, Genlisea, a few random Drosera and Utrics, as well as Byblis. This grow area sits right next to my highland terrarium so it experiences similar temps, however, the day temps are usually in the mid 70s due to the two T5HO fixtures that are lighting it (the terrarium uses a T8 fixture, will change that to T5HOs soon, for more light and a bit more warmth on the cool days).

Please excuse the dead primuliflora you may see in one of the photos. I left them in their package for a couple days before potting them, so they rotted, as I am lazy (there seems to be a theme here). There are also lots of empty pots, mostly seeds that haven't or perhaps will not sprout, as well as a pot of D.menziesii which has yet to pop up (checked the tubers and they are fine, one even has a stolon that was at least a few cm long when I checked it).
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.6 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (130.42 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (115.04 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.96 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
And here is the overflow area, which consists of two suspended 4 ft 2 bulb T12 fixtures. This was originally intended to be filled up with floating Drosera cuttings, but again, I am too lazy. So, it is where the capensis that I am not trying to kill outdoors stay, as well as the burmannii. (Well, not intentionally trying to kill my D. capensis, but I want to see how tolerant they are of light frosts).

Here, there are a few Drosera plantlets, Nep seedlings, and some plants I am babying with temps that are consistently warmer than the other two grow areas (P. cubensis and G. filiformis). There are no windows in this room, so temps are usually 72-73 days, and 67-68 nights.
image.jpg
image.jpg (59.62 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
This area will eventually get the T8 fixture that I have above my highland terrarium, once I swap out that fixture with a T5HO one. The overflow area will then become a place for mostly Byblis, as my large B. guehoi is outrgrowing its growspace.
By bvalente
The MarsHydro LED lights I love them. I have 2 300w and a 600w :) love the setups everyone! I just got my first grow tent so now I'll be able to expand my horizon's a bit more since I can control a bit more. Inside the RH is 50-70% with a temp of 68-80F. Looking at possibly some Heli's.
By HeliamphoraWalnut
Ooh, I'm getting a marshydro as a little Christmas gift to myself ;)
I can get you helis, just pm me and we can work things out.
Unfortunately, I don't rreally have a winter set up. More like just piling plants onto a windowsill or cramming plants into a tank telling myself: don't worry, it'll fit.
By Bhart90
Benurmanii wrote:My indoor basement setup consists of most of my collection.

First we have my highland terrarium. During the fall/winter seasons temps are usually 68-70 during the day, and 58 and below and night. It all depends on how much it cools off at night, and at what times I open and close the windows (open at night to cool-off the terrarium and setup for my tuberous Drosera). I have been really inconsistent with when I open and close the windows, as I am lazy. On the weekend, the windows often don't get closed until 10 am or even later, depending on how much I sleep in. I usually have to turn on a heater to try and warm things back up before night sets in.

Fortunately, most of my plants in this area appreciate cool days, so my only worry is for my P. cubensis and the more intermediate Nepenthes
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here is the setup that was originally intended for tuberous Drosera (lights are on a more temperate light-cycle). However, it ended up getting filled with Pings, Genlisea, a few random Drosera and Utrics, as well as Byblis. This grow area sits right next to my highland terrarium so it experiences similar temps, however, the day temps are usually in the mid 70s due to the two T5HO fixtures that are lighting it (the terrarium uses a T8 fixture, will change that to T5HOs soon, for more light and a bit more warmth on the cool days).

Please excuse the dead primuliflora you may see in one of the photos. I left them in their package for a couple days before potting them, so they rotted, as I am lazy (there seems to be a theme here). There are also lots of empty pots, mostly seeds that haven't or perhaps will not sprout, as well as a pot of D.menziesii which has yet to pop up (checked the tubers and they are fine, one even has a stolon that was at least a few cm long when I checked it).
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
And here is the overflow area, which consists of two suspended 4 ft 2 bulb T12 fixtures. This was originally intended to be filled up with floating Drosera cuttings, but again, I am too lazy. So, it is where the capensis that I am not trying to kill outdoors stay, as well as the burmannii. (Well, not intentionally trying to kill my D. capensis, but I want to see how tolerant they are of light frosts).

Here, there are a few Drosera plantlets, Nep seedlings, and some plants I am babying with temps that are consistently warmer than the other two grow areas (P. cubensis and G. filiformis). There are no windows in this room, so temps are usually 72-73 days, and 67-68 nights.
image.jpg
This area will eventually get the T8 fixture that I have above my highland terrarium, once I swap out that fixture with a T5HO one. The overflow area will then become a place for mostly Byblis, as my large B. guehoi is outrgrowing its growspace.

Your moss is so attractive! What kind and where from
By Benurmanii
Bhart90 wrote:Your moss is so attractive! What kind and where from
I have no idea what kind, though I do know that some of the moss you see there is from FTC store. The rest I just got from friends, some they got from other friends, some I believe is just the sphagnum that sometimes pops up from the dried stuff.
By Shadowtski
SundewWolf wrote:Damn you guys are fancy. I don't even want to post pictures of my shop-light set up now

All my LED lighting and inside grow rack are brand new, this fall. I used to have pots sitting on the floor under shoplight T-12s, and T-8s. I bought my first T-5 this Spring and it's pretty much retired already. It can't compare to LEDs.

Good growing,
Mike
By Bhart90
Nothing but 4 t5s on a table piked up last year on the road.

Got a red and green live lfsm tray(s)
That's it really, I mean you see all the plants.....

Here are my hibiscus I got from hvh.com, and there are 5 pots that have braided hybrids I grew from seed. Can't wait to see flowers. Knowing that I made them, you know?

Here are also my orchids I mounted on bark from a Dead tree, over time they will adhesivly stick to it. With live Spanish moss on them. I got a compost bin in there too. This room is probably the "healthiest" in Michigan haha. Wish you guys could breathe this. It's so refreshing!
Also there's my fish tank. I have 1 betta, 5 corycats. 3 albino, 2 green. As well as 2 algae eaters. I made a cover for it out of bamboo, and to keep the fish theme going, I used fishing line to the tie it together. I put my air plants on it, so the whole thing sort of conserves the temp I need it to be,and the air plants get the humidity. Win win.
Attachments:
20161202_203412.jpg
20161202_203412.jpg (299.37 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
20161202_203349.jpg
20161202_203349.jpg (278.06 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
20161202_214504.jpg
20161202_214504.jpg (435.4 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
20161202_214448.jpg
20161202_214448.jpg (239.51 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
20161202_214424.jpg
20161202_214424.jpg (352.04 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
20161202_214417.jpg
20161202_214417.jpg (284.43 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
20161202_214403.jpg
20161202_214403.jpg (227.34 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
20161202_214354.jpg
20161202_214354.jpg (183.08 KiB) Viewed 5449 times

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome! (and I think it's my turn to say: ) Be su[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

First flower stalk on VFT

I might let the biggest flower stalk flower but c[…]

I repotted some of the vft's from the flower stal[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!