FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Earthy
Was wondering what browning leaf edges could mean? My P. Primuliflora bunch is growing but some of the leaf edges are brown. And one of my plants is loose from the main bunch but still kinda attached, and the leaves on it keep going floppy till I cover the pot, but the main bunch is fine. Do I need to up the water a little maybe? Or does the browning edges mean they're on their way out? I sure hope that isn't the case :-/
By nimbulan
My primuliflora did this too. Are the leaves rather yellowish in color as well? If that's the case, the problem is likely too much light. Just a couple hours of direct sun will keep it in better shape, and you should get some nice purple veining on the leaves as well.
nimbulan, nimbulan liked this
By Earthy
They are greenish yellow. It sits on the windowsill with my Sethos; all the times it's gotten any sun it's wilted pretty bad so I keep it shaded when outside. How moist do you keep yours? What are your growing conditions?
By nimbulan
I keep mine outdoors in a shallow tray of water, maybe a half inch at most. I originally had the plant next to my Sarracenia in full sun for a month before I noticed the leaves start to brown and moved it to its current location under a tree, where it gets and hour or two each of morning and late afternoon sun. I noticed some new growth with purple veins within a week of moving it.

Heat doesn't seem to be an issue, as we have had a lot of 90+ degree days this summer and we generally don't have much summer humidity here in Oregon.
nimbulan liked this
By Earthy
okay cool; I'm just getting into growing pings, so I'm hoping I can learn the ropes quickly lol...so far everyone is growing and putting out new leaves. I think I already have a plan for winter...I think. cause I know the mexican pings go dormant, so still trying to figure out where to put them lol...guess I'll have questions before the time comes :P
By nimbulan
Mexican pings you should be able to leave where they are, you'll just need to cut back on watering if they go dormant, and not all of them will. The temperate ones, besides the lower light tolerance I would think would do well given the same winter conditions as Sarracenia.
nimbulan, nimbulan liked this
By Grey
nimbulan hit the nail on the head; the two key elements in getting Mexican Pinguicula to enter their succulent phase (or "dormancy") is photoperiod and moisture. I keep mine on my windowsill year-round, and just reduce watering come winter. :)
Grey liked this
By Earthy
okay...so basically once the mexican ones start putting out the smaller, non-gooey cactus-looking leaves then start reducing their water?
By Grey
I've always started reducing water mid to late October, and find the leaves follow suit. (Just as you describe: "non-gooey, cactus-looking leaves" - great description!) There isn't a mass die-off of carnivorous leaves, in fact leaves already grown will likely change shape slightly as the succulent ones fill-in. I have a slideshow of a Pinguicula 'Weser' going through its two stages on my website, you can find it here, if you scroll down to near the bottom of the page.
Grey liked this

Ok. The plant looks healthy to me, but I saw Anoth[…]

SnappyPlants store!

Snappy’s Steroid, Unleashed! The Ultimate Fe[…]

Trying My Hand With TC

The PP takeout containers work great for me in kee[…]

A Thread for Pygmies

I thought it would be interesting to make a generi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

It's only been seven hours since the initial reque[…]

1677 expired and canceled

This request has expired and been canceled, seeds […]

Big Ol' Traps!

Congrats! Those are some nice, big traps :D Lovely[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!