FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
Here is a longbow I made, yet another in a series. I just started and finished it today, very pleased with it's results. Pulls 48 LBs at a max of 27 inches, awesome for regular target shooting, smooth, quiet, and easy to draw. I used the Backyardbowyers design for an eighty pound longbow, but switched it to schedule 40 1 inch pvc.

I have made several pvc bows, turns out to be quite easy and fun, not to mention CHEAP! It is at maximum $5 from pvc to tape to paint for a finished bow. I can't wait to hunt with one of them.

Also I have some dowel arrows I made. I stained two different colors, crested (the colors in the middle) and polyurethaned. Works well for cheap but good arrows. They have been spined to a 45 pound traditional longbow or recurve, but I have not fletched or nocked and put points on them yet. Will update that when I receive the points and nocks.

Anyway, just wanted to share these! DIY is the way to go!
Attachments:
PVC Bow.PNG
PVC Bow.PNG (836.84 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
001.JPG
001.JPG (693.79 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (677.33 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
005.JPG
005.JPG (640.35 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
016.JPG
016.JPG (360.63 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
018.JPG
018.JPG (353.85 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
katya_dog1, katya_dog1, katya_dog1 and 2 others liked this
By katya_dog1
Thanks!

@MrsMuscipla, I am not old enough to have a hunting license yet. ;) As soon as I am able, I think I would go to the archery place here and just take a couple lessons to get advice for hunting. I have been making these for exactly one year-- yesterday was the day I made my first bow.

@tish, the secret ingredient is a heat gun. I can make just about anything with the heat gun, I can recurve the ends, I can make siyahs (the 'ears') on Mongolian horsebows, but most of all I can do a gradual flattening. I heat the entire limb up, and then place a board on it. I put a clamp at the tip, and tighten it all the way. I then put another clamp at the handle, and do it barely, just enough for the bow I am making. that effectively makes the bow bend evenly from tip to handle.

If you are interested in trying one, the Backyardbowyer on youtube has a whole bunch of videos.

@Grey, yes it is really an amazing sport. I love doing it probably more than I like making the materials.
By katya_dog1
Heat guns are cheap. :) They speed up the work a lot. I am not even sure a hair dryer would work, but it might.
By David F
Can't you get a license at age 13 in North Carolina? Perhaps your parents are just not allowing you?
By katya_dog1
I think that you have to have a safety course certificate of completion to get a hunting license. The season is over for this year, for anyone to apply I think, and I may as well just wait till next year. That way I can do the course early in the year, and then apply.

I just did not do it this year, I will try next year, but my parents don't hunt. I think that while you can hunt when you are thirteen, you have to have an adult with you.

So I got myself two different N. ventricosa 'Porce[…]

Updated pictures I took today, it's been ~6-7 mont[…]

I have no clue where these plants keep going!

New donation

Also, thank you Panman for donating envelopes. I'd[…]

I got both of these from Amazon. They work well. […]

Will S. rubra var. rubra stay within that size r[…]

I'm aware that VFTs secrete chitinase to "sof[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!