FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By peacesrc
I have a fly trap i bought at the beginning of spring, named him herbie and he's been doing great. I just need some advice on how to plant him in a flower pot. He's been in a small container he originally came in because I haven't been able to get potting dirt and my sister took the liberty of planting him in a pot with fertilized potting mix. It was either yesterday or early this morning when she did this and I immediately took him back out when I found out and am wondering whether or not he'll die because of it? Or what I can do to help it?
By Alan
"Herbie" will be fine :D, just find some suitable soil (pure sphagnum moss, peat moss, or a combination of both with perlite and sand) for the VFT. If you dont have good soil, just flush out the fertilized soil many times to remove the fertilizer. Remember to use ONLY distilled water, reverse osmosis water, or rain water when flushing the medium and watering the VFT, remember to also use only plastic or glazed pots only when growing Herbie. Flush throughly and observe further growth for the VFT, if the VFT does not seem well, keep flushing the medium or go buy suitable substrates for the plant. For more information, go to the homepage, http://www.flytrapcare.com/ and go down to read the post about the basics of VFT cultivation written by Matt.

Good luck :D
By Matt
Hello and welcome to FlytrapCare! As Allen mentioned, just find some suitable soil for the plant and repot it. It should do fine if you give it proper care.

Flushing the soil might work, but I'm not sure that you'd be able to completely flush all of the fertilizer out of it to make it safe for the plant. I'd recommend just getting unadulterated (non-enriched) soil.

Good luck!
By 95slvrZ28
While you're getting your new soil you can simply leave the plant in a bowl of distilled water if you already threw out the old soil it came with. As Matt alluded to, I wouldn't risk flushing the fertilizer out of the potting medium, just try to find some new stuff! If you have trouble finding the ideal potting components let us know and we can probably give you some alternatives that will work.
By masmith
I know how you feel Alan. My middle name is Alan and I get mispellings a lot too.

Good luck with your plant Peacesrc. I really doubt it had time to soak up too many minerals. It a good thing you caught it when you did though.
By tc3driver
Matt wrote:
Alan wrote:Alan* lol you're thinking of the wrong person Matt XD
Oops, sorry Alan. I'm so used to typing "Allen" on these forums that my fingers took over for my brain :)

*Wraps Matt on the hand with a ruler... that aught to teach your fingers to think before they act :P

Hey all, I was visiting my girlfriend in North Ca[…]

What's Up

The owner of this forum and our gracious overseer […]

bog garden

Alright, $20 is gonna be hard to work with, but he[…]

Should I just leave them be?

I have these Bohemian Garnet's and a yet to be id'[…]

U. bisquamata

Wow!

Fused Tooth Extreme

Nice!

Phyllodia or deformed pitcher

All right, now I'm placing bets whether it's going[…]

My Ginormous pot

I would be also willing to buy some. I have flytra[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!