FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By AshMashMash
So, I've got some little seedlings which seem to be doing well. But light is fading fast as we approach autumn... so, I decided to light them my self! Got my self a 14W 18K flurescent bulb (the aquatic kind for planted aquariums and corals), and set it up! Any critique/advice is much appreciated!

They're 24 days since germinating, and I think in some, the leaf in the middle, is a little trap? So cute! (also today I bought my first ever Sarracenia, poor thing was in dry soil....)

By idontlikeforms
You'll want to make sure that bulb is not farther than 4 inches from the top of those seedlings and 3 inches should be better too. Keeping the bulb on for 16 hours a day will help too. If there is not enough light your seedlings will be weak and just wind up dying.
By AshMashMash
idontlikeforms wrote:You'll want to make sure that bulb is not farther than 4 inches from the top of those seedlings and 3 inches should be better too. Keeping the bulb on for 16 hours a day will help too. If there is not enough light your seedlings will be weak and just wind up dying.
Oh really? Thanks, I shall do!
By AshMashMash
idontlikeforms wrote:You'll want to make sure that bulb is not farther than 4 inches from the top of those seedlings and 3 inches should be better too. Keeping the bulb on for 16 hours a day will help too. If there is not enough light your seedlings will be weak and just wind up dying.
Put my timer on for longer, and moved into this position. Excessive, or about right? I think soil surface to light at the nearest point is about 2.5".

Thanks!
By AshMashMash
idontlikeforms wrote:As close as you can keep that bulb without over heating.
Cool, the bulb is only 38C in the middle at the surface of it. There is a heat mat underneath the tubs. The soil surface temp is reading 28.1C currently and I'll make sure it doesn't go above 30C :)
By idontlikeforms
You'll want the night time temperature there to drop to 22 C or lower once those seeds are mostly done germinating.
By AshMashMash
idontlikeforms wrote:You'll want the night time temperature there to drop to 22 C or lower once those seeds are mostly done germinating.
Oh really? Hmm... I might dispense with the heat mat for now. See what day time temps are like without it...

Thanks!
By Matt
idontlikeforms wrote:You'll want the night time temperature there to drop to 22 C or lower once those seeds are mostly done germinating.
I don't believe that this is necessary. I'm not aware of any requirements of night time temperature drops for flytraps.
By AshMashMash
Matt wrote:
I don't believe that this is necessary. I'm not aware of any requirements of night time temperature drops for flytraps.
Interesting. I don't actually have a 'stat or timer for the heatmat... so... I better not leave it on unregulated overnight anyways. I shall monitor for a while see what sort of temperatures I get. I would have thought as you - the warmer, for longer, the better.
By tc3driver
Getting the bug????

Ash... you are ass over teakettle :)

Welcome to the bug club....

Keep a good eye on them babys... it isn't an exact science... just keep em happy.
By AshMashMash
tc3driver wrote:Getting the bug????

Ash... you are ass over teakettle :)

Welcome to the bug club....

Keep a good eye on them babys... it isn't an exact science... just keep em happy.
Haha! :lol:

I can't stop keeping an eye on them! Keeping them well watered and have a thermometer in place :D I'll no doubt keep updating with every little thing that happens ;)

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, on[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!