FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Dejavert
Has anyone seen something like this? I've been considering adding some springtails to my terrarium to hopefully decompose any dead leaves that I don't get to first. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but I've never seen anyone attempt this before (although admittedly I'm pretty new to carnivorous plants). I have some springtails in one of my houseplant pots so I was thinking I might see if I can coax some into some peat and just start putting any decomposing leaves I cut off of my carnivorous plants into there to see if the springtails will survive.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk

By Anzenix
Hmm... it would end up introducing nutrients into the soil and the plants wouldn't be able to handle that. It would probably take awhile before it did happen, but eventually, that would be the unintended cause.
andynorth liked this
By Dejavert
Anzenix wrote:Hmm... it would end up introducing nutrients into the soil and the plants wouldn't be able to handle that. It would probably take awhile before it did happen, but eventually, that would be the unintended cause.
Gotcha, that makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought about how their excrement would affect nutrient levels, but it makes sense that it would.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk

andynorth liked this
By Adelae
I'd be interested to see if some nutrient-hogging companion plant could fix that. Something where a sundew or butterwort eats some of the springtails, the springtails eat dead leaves from both plants, and the non-carnivore eats springtail waste.

A few additional things I use: a turkey baster (to[…]

I recommend both Lee's Botanical Gardens and Flytr[…]

I don't know what you have available but once you […]

Sundew in forest

Catfish won't eat mosquito larvae as the larvae ar[…]

Finally

Those are beautiful! I’m wondering what ki[…]

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Agreed, no plant seed cross will ever breed tue du[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!