FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
My drosera affinis keeps catching flies every time a new leaf appears. OH CAN YOU JUST SPARE 1 GOOD DEWY LEAF FOR ME TO PHOTOGRAPH???
By Orit
you feel a seasonal depression coming on, and you've always loved winter before.

it's happening... nighttime lows in the high 40s already in denver. they will go dormant soon and i will REALLY miss them. (also have to decide once and for all whether to get a grow light.)
By Bob Beer
Orit wrote:you feel a seasonal depression coming on, and you've always loved winter before.

it's happening... nighttime lows in the high 40s already in denver. they will go dormant soon and i will REALLY miss them. (also have to decide once and for all whether to get a grow light.)
The solution is obvious: develop a Mexican Pinguicula addiction. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob Beer liked this
By Sakaaaaa
I have the opposite. The temperature drop is usually just a few degrees every year (I think, I want to do a temperature experiment) because of dry season. But that doesnt stop me from trying to grow VFTs!! But I really want a mexican ping and be able to care for it :(
By Orit
Bob Beer wrote:
Orit wrote:you feel a seasonal depression coming on, and you've always loved winter before.

okay, haha, that's just wrong because i currently have two pings in my cart that I'm trying not to buy. i think i have too many fungus gnats even for the sundews and couldn't see a better solution. what pings would you recommend for a beginner? i know very little about them.
By Bob Beer
Orit wrote:
Bob Beer wrote:

okay, haha, that's just wrong because i currently have two pings in my cart that I'm trying not to buy. i think i have too many fungus gnats even for the sundews and couldn't see a better solution. what pings would you recommend for a beginner? i know very little about them.
Most of the Mexican ones are pretty easy and adaptable. Many of the hybrids are very vigorous; Weser and Pirouette are really nice I think. As for species, some of my favorites are cyclosecta (smaller but really beautiful) and the many varieties of moranensis. Agnatas and some of their hybrids are nice in that they don't have a completely non-carnivorous succulent stage; they just grow tighter in the winter. Some people say laueanas are finicky but they haven't really been for me. Which ones are in your cart?

Bob Beer liked this
By Orit
Bob Beer wrote: Most of the Mexican ones are pretty easy and adaptable. Many of the hybrids are very vigorous; Weser and Pirouette are really nice I think. As for species, some of my favorites are cyclosecta (smaller but really beautiful) and the many varieties of moranensis. Agnatas and some of their hybrids are nice in that they don't have a completely non-carnivorous succulent stage; they just grow tighter in the winter. Some people say laueanas are finicky but they haven't really been for me. Which ones are in your cart?
thank you! i have pirouette and sethos in my cart, which are the only 2 currently in stock at predatory plants, though i was looking at carnivore culture as well. never bought from the CC before but heard good things. i should add I'm in denver, so humidity is nonexistent. i don't think they need it but wanted to make sure.
By Bob Beer
There should be enough humidity from the soil. You probably won't want to keep them completely dry in winter though.

By Orit
i had heard about them here, though don't remember which thread. but i do remember reading good things.

Low 40s tonight. It rained all evening and is still going. had to bring the plants in just to be safe. it's just too cold and too wet, not a good combination. they're definitely headed for dormancy soon with all this recent cold weather. sniffles.

now on to some final ping research before i pull the trigger... Definitely getting pirouette per yout recommendation, not sure about sethos. thanks again!
By Bob Beer
Serbia and Pirouette are fairly similar looking plants though the flowers are distinct. I'd try a cyclosecta, it's unique, and very easy.

Bob Beer liked this
By Sakaaaaa
Social science test:
"Name 4 plants that grow in highland, lowland, and desert areas"

Their answers:
Tea, coconut, dates...

Me, a plant addict:
Nepenthes tenuis, nepenthes ampullaria, astrophytum asterias...
By PitBulMom
Shadowtski wrote:...You go outside to check your plants in the morning before you have your first cup of coffee.

Every morning!!! LOL!
I have a heavily shaded yard, so my "baby" gets moved every day several times a day, chasing the sun!

Good growing,
Mike
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!