FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Orit
I bought some fly attractant earlier this year and my plants absolutely feasted. I keep raving about it here so I figured I'd just show you guys the results. FTS Flaming Lips has been by far my most successful hunter. I don't know if it's the color or the sheer size of it, but the flies absolutely love this plant.

For the record, this is a "starter size" plant purchased in mid March.... Maybe one of the many divisions is starter size in reality! Easily one of my favorites, though I love them all.

I lost count around two dozen flies eaten by Flaming Lips alone in the past few months. I am a noob grower still figuring things out, and the steady food supply has really helped me out!
Attachments:
Screenshot_2017-07-07-22-34-22.png
Screenshot_2017-07-07-22-34-22.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 4405 times
By Orit
If anyone wants to try it out, this is Rescue Fly Trap Attractant used for plastic fly traps, but I think any fly trap attractant works well. I just mixed some with water in a small container (that I eventually threw away because dozens of flies had drowned themselves in it). Any plant next to it will eat very well. DC XL had every trap occupied within a day or two. I thought it well worth the $5. :)
By boggyboy72
How bad does it smell?Would I want it on the back deck?

I put a watermelon rind from the 4th out by my plants.It drew some regular flies but mostly fruit flies.

My drosera had quite the feast. :)
By Orit
My dog was extremely interested in it at first but lost interest pretty quickly. It smells horrendous but I couldn't smell it from more than a few feet away after a few days. Mine was always on the deck. I think it also depends how much water you mix with it. Since I have never seen the fly trap it's supposed to be used with, I just guessed at about half a cup. It will greatly increase the fly traffic all around, but for me, seeing all those fed traps made it very worthwhile.

Edit: I just got the dog comment :lol:
By Fly Trap Hunter
Flies love rotting tomatoes too. put it out with a small plastic/paper plate so it does not get on everything. People say the traps don't need to eat, but of the posts where I have seen people feed their traps, the plants are huge and healthy. I try to keep rotting tomatoes out for them. I'm sure they get nutrients from the fly poop too. It burns the leaves in spots. (and I'm growing tomatoes anyway.)

I saw my traps catch 2 flies yesterday. I'm like get it. get it. get it. get it. YEAH! :o :lol: Sawtooth x Parahna is fast. Richard Petty fast 8-)
By Orit
thanks for the tip! i also grow cherry tomatoes, i can keep a few in between the plants and see what happens.
By uusa2000
Orit wrote:
Edit: I just got the dog comment Image

Haha!!!

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By twitterglitter
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
IMG_6500.JPG
https://youtu.be/aTudGOsM8fU

yea I know its really sick. Image
I did the same thing with a watermelon from my garden. It might look gross, but it works. You've inspired me to get some use out of the bird eaten tomatoes in the garden.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
twitterglitter liked this
By Orit
i have not had any luck leaving tomatoes out there. they just shrivel up and die without much of an odor. maybe you have to use larger tomatoes, or cut them open. yours are clearly doing a lot better at drawing flies.

summer's almost over and i want my plants to have a lot more energy while they can get it. ordered more attractant, before/after pictures coming up.
By Orit
Put fly attractant out Wednesday night. By Friday afternoon, I lost count at around 20 traps eating. I keep having to rotate the traps closest to the attractant because they get full. Even caught my first wasp!
By Fly Trap Hunter
Orit wrote:Put fly attractant out Wednesday night. By Friday afternoon, I lost count at around 20 traps eating. I keep having to rotate the traps closest to the attractant because they get full. Even caught my first wasp!
did you name the fly attractant in the post? the tomatoes work but really stink. They are outta here. I mostly wanted to be sure the typicals had flies because they flowered. They obviously do better when fed.

That's a beautiful Flaming Lips, the nicest I have seen.
By Orit
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
Orit wrote:Put fly attractant out Wednesday night. By Friday afternoon, I lost count at around 20 traps eating. I keep having to rotate the traps closest to the attractant because they get full. Even caught my first wasp!
did you name the fly attractant in the post? the tomatoes work but really stink. They are outta here. I mostly wanted to be sure the typicals had flies because they flowered. They obviously do better when fed.

That's a beautiful Flaming Lips, the nicest I have seen.
Yes, it's Rescue fly attractant. It definitely stinks, but not from more than a few feet away and well worth it IMO. By tonight (Monday), many plants have more closed traps than open. I've yet to catch a VFT in action, but I saw a fly land on my cape sundew and am currently taking a time lapse. And then there was this one, still struggling to escape Coquillage. This is the first fly (excluding a few fungus gnats) I've ever seen that plant get. I think the lack of teeth must pose a disadvantage -
but not for this unfortunate fly.

Thank you. Flaming Lips has really impressed me with its color and success as a hunter, not to mention its size (starter size purchased last spring).
Attachments:
20170828_174050-1.jpg
20170828_174050-1.jpg (277.59 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
By Fly Trap Hunter
I thought that was a coquillage. They look slow to me. lol the traps are odd looking to me but I love the teeth and that the traps look like little mouths. :lol: your plants are very healthy looking.

Okay, thanks for the info.

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I would give it a bit more shade but it doesn't ne[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!