FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Orit
Thanks. I'm still getting pest damage but overall doing well for a newbie I think. The sundews, however, are really thriving from the fungus gnats that like to live in the sphagnum, as well as other gnats drawn by the attractant. My drosera filiformis, which arrived around May with 4-5 leaves, is now throwing 3 flower stalks up simultaneously! (Side note: Predatory Plants is awesome!)

Fly attractant is in the purple cup. Don't know why my pictures keep uploading sideways.
Attachments:
20170828_174942.jpg
20170828_174942.jpg (395.42 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
By Orit
So I've yet to see one of my VFTs in the moment as it catches a fly, but I was watching two days ago when this extremely fast flier (drawn by the fly attractant) landed on my cape sundew. I was surprised when it was still ensnared half an hour later as I've seen flies that size wriggle loose. You can see the leaf was already munching on a few gnats. This is a moment after he landed versus today. I also took a time lapse that I need to further speed up and post.
Attachments:
pic20170831202551.jpg
pic20170831202551.jpg (405.38 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
By Orit
A few of my plants a month after my last batch of fly attractant. It spilled about a week or two after I put it out, but every single fly you can see was caught during that time.
20170914_153015-1-1.jpg
20170914_153015-1-1.jpg (195.23 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
Center is DC XL and Megatraps is right above it. The far bottom is FTS Lunatic Fringe. Many plants, DC XL included, had every single trap occupied within a week of having the fly attractant out. (The only traps that do not are new growth.)

I also caught 3 wasps over that time. I was very excited because wasps are @%$!&. You can kind of see one in Megatraps' bottom right trap that's still reopening and the very bottom of Maroon Monster.
20170913_161339-1.jpg
20170913_161339-1.jpg (306.84 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
FTS Maroon Monster hardly needs an introduction. Most of its traps were full as well at one point. Side question - does it look like it's not getting enough sun to anyone? I LOVE its colors as is but I usually see them without as much green.
By Fly Trap Hunter
that's a cool before and after pic but kinda creepy too. yeicks I'm scared! How would you like to accidentally fall asleep in a field of Drosera. loud screams NO! They wrap around you and eat you. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Orit wrote:So I've yet to see one of my VFTs in the moment as it catches a fly, but I was watching two days ago when this extremely fast flier (drawn by the fly attractant) landed on my cape sundew. I was surprised when it was still ensnared half an hour later as I've seen flies that size wriggle loose. You can see the leaf was already munching on a few gnats. This is a moment after he landed versus today. I also took a time lapse that I need to further speed up and post.
By Fly Trap Hunter
Orit, You have some healthy looking plants so I'm wondering how you do things.
What part of the country do you live in and how many hours a day of direct sunlight do your plants get? And to me, your moss looks dry on top. Do you keep your plants in trays? and is your moss dry at the top and wet at the roots? Do you only use sphagnum moss?
Fly Trap Hunter liked this
By Orit
Thank you! I have a few that are still struggling from pests and my own inexperience but most of them are okay. I live in Denver (proof you don't need humidity for VFTs) and I'm not actually sure how much direct sun they get as it varies every few months because of the angle of the sun and my house/trees/etc but I think they get at least 4-6. Maybe i can set up a time lapse this weekend and get a better idea, I've been meaning to do that anyway.

All my traps are in LFSM purchased from FTS, but the plants I have not repotted definitely did a lot better than the ones I did repot. I usually tray water when needed (I touch the top of the moss to see how dry it is and lift up the pots to see how heavy they are to decide when to water).

Yeah, carnivorous plants in general are pretty horrifying when you think of them. As a vegetarian, I do experience some cognitive dissonance with that but I feel better knowing Matt's a vegan and I'm not alone in my twisted fascination. :)
Orit liked this
By Orit
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:Orit, You have some healthy looking plants so I'm wondering how you do things.
What part of the country do you live in and how many hours a day of direct sunlight do your plants get? And to me, your moss looks dry on top. Do you keep your plants in trays? and is your moss dry at the top and wet at the roots? Do you only use sphagnum moss?
took a time lapse today and was shocked to find the sun is now low enough in the sky now that they aren't even getting 4 solid hours. granted, high altitude sun is stronger, but i thought it was a lot more. in the summer, it was more like 6-8 hours in the same spot. i dont have a sunnier spot in the yard that's not subject to water from the sprinklers, at least not a convenient spot. will have to think of something. thanks for asking or i wouldn't have known! :?
By Fieldofscreams
I have the same exact problem. During spring and fall they will easily get 10+ hours of direct sunlight but from mid August to the end of October they will be lucky to get 4 hours. The sun lowers in such a way that my massive oak trees block out all the sun.

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!