FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By alanmota2004
What's the pipe or tube for?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
By FLTropical
Kat- does the rock on top keep the weeds down? And does it tend to sink into the media? It does look nice.
FLTropical liked this
By Dave 1999
thatonechick371 wrote:Wow your S. purperea are beautiful. Ive had this one for about a month... Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Trust me when it is setteld in it is going to expode in growt
Attachments:
This is it now :p
This is it now :p
20170727_095732.jpg (418.1 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
This was my bog 1 year ago when i made it and lookt like this and can you see the green S purp that one bought i in winter time it was verry small but i really liked it but didnt expected to much of it the next season ( i was so wrong :D )
This was my bog 1 year ago when i made it and lookt like this and can you see the green S purp that one bought i in winter time it was verry small but i really liked it but didnt expected to much of it the next season ( i was so wrong :D )
20170727_095131.jpg (139.52 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
By Dave 1999
alanmota2004 wrote:What's the pipe or tube for?

I use it for me to look how much water is in the bog and it is easier to water it like that for me at least
By alanmota2004
How do you check from that hole??

By Dave 1999
alanmota2004 wrote:How do you check from that hole??

Like a so
If there is no water left in the tube i need to water it
Attachments:
20170727_104617.jpg
20170727_104617.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 3085 times
By KategoricalKarnivore
FLTropical wrote:Kat- does the rock on top keep the weeds down? And does it tend to sink into the media? It does look nice.
I don't know if it keeps the weeds down. Some grow right up through it. And all the sundews, the pings, and utrics grew from seed that I just sprinkled in the bog so it doesn't stop plants from growing really. I did it just to be a nice top dressing. No it doesn't sink in that I can see.
By KategoricalKarnivore
alanmota2004 wrote:What's the pipe or tube for?

There are actually two pipes. One inside the bog you can't see in my pic. That's for filling the bog with water. The one on the side you can see is for draining and for water level control. Here is what I used as a guide. http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/bisni ... 20405.html
By slinx
Dave 1999 wrote:U sure about that :D
Im dont think im going to risk it because they are finaly doing great
But i still need to check my tab water with a tds meter
Just to be sure :lol:
But thx for leting me know
Yes, there's no risk because they grow in the tropics right alongside a bunch of other tropical plants people keep as houseplants, in rich soils. They don't need rich soil (in fact you can grow them in pretty much anything), but they definitely don't mind.
By KategoricalKarnivore
slinx wrote:
Dave 1999 wrote:U sure about that :D
Im dont think im going to risk it because they are finaly doing great
But i still need to check my tab water with a tds meter
Just to be sure :lol:
But thx for leting me know
Yes, there's no risk because they grow in the tropics right alongside a bunch of other tropical plants people keep as houseplants, in rich soils. They don't need rich soil (in fact you can grow them in pretty much anything), but they definitely don't mind.
Be careful with giving that kind of advice. Your tap water may be safe but some places the tap water has a whole lot of minerals in it that will definitely affect the plants. My tap is around 225-250 PPM. I wouldn't give that to my neps.
By slinx
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Be careful with giving that kind of advice. Your tap water may be safe but some places the tap water has a whole lot of minerals in it that will definitely affect the plants. My tap is around 225-250 PPM. I wouldn't give that to my neps.
There is no difference between a Nepenthes and whatever other houseplant grows right next to it in the wild when it comes to which water they will be able to take. Nepenthes are not bog plants, they don't (naturally) grow in poor soils. That's my point: if your tap water's safe to drink, it's safe to water your house plants, including your Nepenthes, with. The idea that they can't take higher than 100, 150, 200, ... PPM is based on pure conjecture and hearsay, and completely disregards the actual growing conditions of these plants in nature.

Edit: just for your information, my tap water is about 330 PPM. No problems, as expected.
By Dave 1999
slinx wrote:
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Be careful with giving that kind of advice. Your tap water may be safe but some places the tap water has a whole lot of minerals in it that will definitely affect the plants. My tap is around 225-250 PPM. I wouldn't give that to my neps.
There is no difference between a Nepenthes and whatever other houseplant grows right next to it in the wild when it comes to which water they will be able to take. Nepenthes are not bog plants, they don't (naturally) grow in poor soils. That's my point: if your tap water's safe to drink, it's safe to water your house plants, including your Nepenthes, with. The idea that they can't take higher than 100, 150, 200, ... PPM is based on pure conjecture and hearsay, and completely disregards the actual growing conditions of these plants in nature.

Edit: just for your information, my tap water is about 330 PPM. No problems, as expected.
It maybe but im not going to try
I dont now how much tds my tab is so
But if it work for you keep er going
By Dave 1999
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:
FLTropical wrote:Kat- does the rock on top keep the weeds down? And does it tend to sink into the media? It does look nice.
I don't know if it keeps the weeds down. Some grow right up through it. And all the sundews, the pings, and utrics grew from seed that I just sprinkled in the bog so it doesn't stop plants from growing really. I did it just to be a nice top dressing. No it doesn't sink in that I can see.
Im trying to get moss to grow in my bog ( it is finaly coming up :D )
But the rocks look also awesome
Witch rocks do you need for the top dressing ?
Are you not worried for minerals ?
Or is this a special rock ?
By KategoricalKarnivore
It's just regular old pea gravel from Lowe's. I rinsed it very well, soaked it in water and checked if TDS rose, and did the vinegar test. No rising TDS and no bubbles from the vinegar so I figured it was good.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!