FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By uusa2000
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:I think this thread was just blown out of proportion. First it was a simple ID issue (and it is burmanii or sessiflora, look at the snap tentacles) and then it turned into a flame war.

uusa2000 wrote:Lol boarderlib u seem mean. Just saying If i were to be the judge of this thread

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
Unnecessary. Boarderlib was just trying to help you :ugeek:
Everyone is on this thread to help me! Thank guys!!!

By Fishkeeper
Nice!

You'll want to eventually tease those D. Capensis out of the pot and replant them elsewhere, they won't be happy if you put them through the dormancy that the flytraps need.
By uusa2000
Fishkeeper wrote:Nice!

You'll want to eventually tease those D. Capensis out of the pot and replant them elsewhere, they won't be happy if you put them through the dormancy that the flytraps need.
Its alba capensis. They don't go dormant?

By slinx
uusa2000 wrote:

Drosera capensis is a subtropical plant, it doesn't have any dormancy. It's a strong species so it might well survive one, but you're better off keeping it warm. Same thing for your Drosera aliciae, it grows in the same area as the cape sundew and also doesn't need or want a dormancy. As a bonus, you get to enjoy your sundews during winter, too!
By uusa2000
slinx wrote:
uusa2000 wrote:

Drosera capensis is a subtropical plant, it doesn't have any dormancy. It's a strong species so it might well survive one, but you're better off keeping it warm. Same thing for your Drosera aliciae, it grows in the same area as the cape sundew and also doesn't need or want a dormancy. As a bonus, you get to enjoy your sundews during winter, too!
All sundews aren't subtropical?

By slinx
No, not at all, there are also tropical and temperate species, and many need different growing conditions (although, again, there is some leniency on their growing needs). See this site for more information.
By boarderlib
uusa2000 wrote: All sundews aren't subtropical?

There's cold temperate, warm temperate, subtropical, tropical. I think that's it. I would recommend this site for most basic drosera information.
http://www.growsundews.com some of the info is a little dated, but pretty soon that won't really matter much anyways.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Last edited by boarderlib on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By KategoricalKarnivore
boarderlib wrote: some of the info is a little dated, but pretty soon that won't really matter much anyways.
And why is that? What's going to happen soon?
By boarderlib
KategoricalKarnivore wrote: And why is that? What's going to happen soon?
There's a lot of work and research going on that will very possibly have a lot of people changing labels on their African drosera. I'm not exactly sure when it'll come out, but it is in the works. Hopefully it'll alleviate some of the confusion in some of the complexes.

boarderlib liked this
By Fishkeeper
Whatever you call them, those two sundews don't need or want dormancy. You'll want to repot them. You may also want to deliberately harvest the seeds from the sundew, if any ripen, so that you can plant them in a more suitable pot.
By Fishman
I would like to see growsundews.com add more/ new info for all of the species names that are blacked out and not linked to a page. Still many not linked. Also would like to see a more diverse selection, and with more focus on Pygmy, and Indica complexes. I love to look at that stuff...
To growsundews.com:
im not complaining, just sayin lol
Its already a nice little website
By boarderlib
Fishman wrote:I would like to see growsundews.com add more/ new info for all of the species names that are blacked out and not linked to a page. Still many not linked. Also would like to see a more diverse selection, and with more focus on Pygmy, and Indica complexes. I love to look at that stuff...
To growsundews.com:
I know he's working on updating the website, but he has several other project's going on as well, that quite frankly take precedence over updating that website. I was talking to him over the weekend about flower pics. I'm not sure if it was for this or something else he is planning.

I do agree that the website is a little dated though.

boarderlib liked this
By David F
Fishman wrote:I would like to see growsundews.com add more/ new info for all of the species names that are blacked out and not linked to a page. Still many not linked. Also would like to see a more diverse selection, and with more focus on Pygmy, and Indica complexes. I love to look at that stuff...
To growsundews.com:
You'll see that the website has been updated-- it has a complete section on tuberous sundews. It is a lot of work and I'm still hashing out the details, but we'll soon be adding a D. regia article from Petar Kostov, and there's going to be a DIY component to the site-- I have people working on: build it yourself LED growlights, plant shelves, grow tents, outdoor tables/beds, and I plan on doing a section on greenhouses etc.

Keep in mind that a lot of the sundews listed on the site are actually quite easy to grow and more or less exactly the same as the other sundews with small exception (things like leaf cutting viability etc.) or soil preference which aren't extremely crucial to the website right now. In fact, I bet there are members of this forum who could do the blacked text Drosera. Of the blacked out ones, I plan to write hamiltonii, indica (finlaysoniana), and a few others, but as I said these articles are not of utmost importance to my time dedication. Right now it's about finding people who will write articles and for me to prepare photos for their articles.

Many links on the site lead to dead ends etc., so there is also some cleaning up to do. However, being the sole contributor to the site at the moment I don't have a lot of time between caring my plants, the house I live in, and working 30+ hours a week in a lab at my university.

Aaron May no longer runs the site, but he contributes and we have phone conversations frequently on updates. Also to come are a few youtube videos. I planned on doing an announcement of the new management of the site and how I plan to run it, that will be coming up soon so stay tuned in the Drosera subforum of flytrapcare. I hope to make a few stickies so you guys can contribute to the website.

I'm curious, it was mentioned that some information was out of date on the website? The only things I can think of are Aaron's growlist and the mentioned D. indica which should read finlaysoniana or serpens. To my knowledge the information on the site is accurate.
David F liked this
By Fishman
Very nice! It is a lot of work to run a website for sure. Even though the species currently listed on that site are simple to grow for the most part, i still love to read the articles. The kid in me still appreciates the pics lol. Thanks for the info!
Fishman liked this

I would think that the TDS would be different in d[…]

Hello from New England

Greetings from another New Englanda’

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

8s, keep looking on Craig's List and any local &qu[…]

I heard that keeping your Venus fly trap outdoors […]

Input on Neps placement

Would you folks recommend putting my plants outdoo[…]

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!