Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By uusa2000
Is that a flower stalk coming? Plant is barely 6 months!Image

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By KategoricalKarnivore
Sure is. Congrats.
By boarderlib
I've had drosera flower from seed in 3 months. How you care for the plants will determine how quickly the reach flowering maturity.

Congrats on the flower stalk!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
I know you just started that's why I edited my post, I realized the context could've been misconstrued as snooty. It was meant to be informative.

I think you may have mixed up the ID on that one, or the person you got the seeds from did. I would think either burmannii or sessifolia.

Good job getting it to flowering stage!

By deleted user
boarderlib wrote:I know you just started that's why I edited my post, I realized the context could've been misconstrued as snooty. It was meant to be informative.

I think you may have mixed up the ID on that one, or the person you got the seeds from did. I would think either burmannii or sessifolia.

Good job getting it to flowering stage!

To me it does look like Aliciae...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
Yeah, I think that may be a mis-ID. Nice plant, though.
By Multiverse172
Yes! Indeed it is a flower stalk! It can put some exaughst into your plant so you can cut it off if you feel like it. It won't cause much harm.
By boarderlib
rulen24 wrote: To me it does look like Aliciae...

I'm a little confused as to why you felt the need to quote me, when Mike suggested the same thing only he's more polite about his wording.

BUT since you felt the need to draw me back into the conversation that I put my two cents in and left it at that.

First off alicea can grow up to 5cm across, which breaks down to 1.969 inches. Whereas burmannii can grow up to about 2 cm across, about .8 inches. Sessifolia is roughly the same size as burmannii. Now compare the moss strand size to the plant itself or use the piece of perlite right in front. Which would take up almost a whole leaf if you placed it on the plant. This tells me the plant is no bigger than an inch across, because I've never seen a one inch chunk of perlite in a bag. Right there's the first clue this is not alicea.

If that's not enough then let's delve into leaf structure. Alicea's leaf structure is completely different than burmannii or sessifolia. Alicea has long straight leaves with rounded tips. Whereas burmannii and sessifolia have more of a wedge shaped leaf, which is present in the plant in the picture. Clue number two.

Wait we're not done yet, there's still more to it. Let's look at the snap tentacles on the leaf tips present in the pictured plant. Those are found on both burmannii and sessifolia. Those snap tentacles are not found on alicea. Thereby telling me that is NOT alicea, but is very well likely either burmannii or sessifolia.

boarderlib liked this
By deleted user
boarderlib wrote:
rulen24 wrote: To me it does look like Aliciae...

I'm a little confused as to why you felt the need to quote me, when Mike suggested the same thing only he's more polite about his wording.

BUT since you felt the need to draw me back into the conversation that I put my two cents in and left it at that.

First off alicea can grow up to 5cm across, which breaks down to 1.969 inches. Whereas burmannii can grow up to about 2 cm across, about .8 inches. Sessifolia is roughly the same size as burmannii. Now compare the moss strand size to the plant itself or use the piece of perlite right in front. Which would take up almost a whole leaf if you placed it on the plant. This tells me the plant is no bigger than an inch across, because I've never seen a one inch chunk of perlite in a bag. Right there's the first clue this is not alicea.

If that's not enough then let's delve into leaf structure. Alicea's leaf structure is completely different than burmannii or sessifolia. Alicea has long straight leaves with rounded tips. Whereas burmannii and sessifolia have more of a wedge shaped leaf, which is present in the plant in the picture. Clue number two.

Wait we're not done yet, there's still more to it. Let's look at the snap tentacles on the leaf tips present in the pictured plant. Those are found on both burmannii and sessifolia. Those snap tentacles are not found on alicea. Thereby telling me that is NOT alicea, but is very well likely either burmannii or sessifolia.

I didn't mean to quote you, I was just saying it looks to me slightly like Aliciae, which with an ID of aliciae makes me believe it.

Repotting carnivorous plants

Looks OK to me. Where did you get you Cobra Lily? […]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!