FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tomerd1409
Hey all ! growing venus fly trap ;
quick question , I dont wanna sound to crazy but I do wanna name that little fellow , but I dont know if its a guy a girl or both !
is there a posibble way to tell ?
p.s hes too young anyway right to show its sex .
posting a pic of how proud I am at this little thing growing so fast !
By Grey
Hey there and welcome to the forums! :-) I don't think you sound at all crazy, there are a lot of people here who like to name their plants (myself included!). Also, they don't have specific sexes so you can choose whatever name you like.

I am so, so sorry to say that I don't believe this is a Venus fly trap sprout -- it looks a lot like a dragon fruit sprout. Baby fly traps tend to have two (sometimes three) seed leaves (known as "cotyledon") that come up straight from the soil with no discernible "stem". The "stem" on your baby plant seems much too long to be a fly trap. :-(

Where did you order the seeds from? Some stores (particularly online ones shipping from China) tend to sell dragon fruit seeds as fly trap seeds (the two look quite similar).

Whatever it is, it looks really healthy! The red tint is often a sign of plentiful lighting (though it depends upon plant species).
By Fishkeeper
The majority of plants produce both "male" and "female" organs in each flower. They're essentially hermaphroditic.

And that definitely doesn't look like a flytrap sprout. Keep growing it, though- let's see what it is.
By Grey
nimbulan wrote:That doesn't look like either a flytrap or dragonfruit to me. I am quite curious what it is though.

Flytraps, like most plants, are not gendered. Nepenthes are the only CPs that are.
Thank you for the correction. :-) I wasn't sure if it was dragon fruit, but was the closest thing I could think of off the top of my head.
By nimbulan
Grey wrote:
nimbulan wrote:That doesn't look like either a flytrap or dragonfruit to me. I am quite curious what it is though.

Flytraps, like most plants, are not gendered. Nepenthes are the only CPs that are.
Thank you for the correction. :-) I wasn't sure if it was dragon fruit, but was the closest thing I could think of off the top of my head.
I'm certainly no expert either but I've never seen a dragonfruit sprout with any red coloration, and I think the cotyledons are usually more broad as well. There is another plant that's commonly substituted for CP seeds but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.
By tomerd1409
well , interesting to know what that thing will be .. sure will poat a pic in this post once it grows , thanks for the information everyone !

I have a pot that has one nice sized ping and a sm[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome Andrew what's been your favorite CP to gro[…]

howdy!

What's up guys! I've grown VFT for 3 years now. I[…]

Water Quality

I use these test strips https://www.amazon.com[…]

Smartest or bravest spider?

Looks like a Anole.

Anyone recognize this plant?

The two that I have that come close are... 202405[…]

Will capsaicin hurt my CPs?

Watch this video. He jumps until he gets it. They […]

Goodness, that's quite a difference! I'm pretty ne[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!