FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Jimmy1212
I am going to make a CP bog garden soon, and im going to pick a black pot for my cps and i make a bog garden. So can it be black or does it have to be a different color because black can get hot? Also can i just use a 50 50 peat moss and perlite mix for my CPs mix, and also i have seen people use rocks on there CPs bog garden does that matter?

By Wikiwakawakawee
I would recommend getting a light colored pot instead of black, because yes, they can get pretty hot in the sun.
50/50 mix is good, and if you decide to use rocks, make sure they don't leech (You can wash the rocks and clean them, and let them sit in water, continually testing the water with a TDS meter until the water is at safe levels. :)
By KategoricalKarnivore
Here is my bog. It's 50/50 peat/perlite and topped with pea gravel. Doing pretty well I think.
Attachments:
IMG_3328.JPG
IMG_3328.JPG (964.06 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
By Jimmy1212
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:I would recommend getting a light colored pot instead of black, because yes, they can get pretty hot in the sun.
50/50 mix is good, and if you decide to use rocks, make sure they don't leech (You can wash the rocks and clean them, and let them sit in water, continually testing the water with a TDS meter until the water is at safe levels. :)
Ok would brown be okay? Also does rocks do anything to the bog garden or are there just for looks?
By Jimmy1212
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Here is my bog. It's 50/50 peat/perlite and topped with pea gravel. Doing pretty well I think.
Cool nice bog garden. Would Sarracenia maroon and Sarracenia mitchelliana be okay for a bog garden?
By Aozora
Jimmy1212 wrote:
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Here is my bog. It's 50/50 peat/perlite and topped with pea gravel. Doing pretty well I think.
Cool nice bog garden. Would Sarracenia maroon and Sarracenia mitchelliana be okay for a bog garden?
all sarracenia should be okay for a bog garden, im keeping some maroon and its doing fine.
By Jimmy1212
Aozora wrote:
Jimmy1212 wrote:
all sarracenia should be okay for a bog garden, im keeping some maroon and its doing fine.
ok thank you :D
By bgplantgeek
I built a similar bog garden in a plastic half whiskey barrel and then spray painted it white to prevent it from overheating

Have any of you tried this? https://www.carnivorou[…]

Sphagnum moss for Nepenthes

Oh, and while you are at Lowe's maybe pick up some[…]

Got these for trade or sale!

Holy crap I thought those were real. I'll have to […]

All mineral mix for Darlingtonia?

Just curious if anyone on here has ever tried an a[…]

received a few days ago

andynorth's Grow/want list

My newest to add to my Flytrap collection. I am do[…]

Forgot to mention I mailed the sase a few days ago

Signs of life

I know everyone has seen sundew seedlings before, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!