FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By hollyhock
Okay.. I think the takeaway lesson here is please don't insult other growers. If you don't agree with their methods then move on or offer some helpful information of your own. Healthy debate and exchange of ideas is good, sarcasm is not.
I try to always follow this acronym.
THINK before you speak or write. And here is what I mean:

T = Thoughtful (is it thoughtful)
H= Helpful (is it helpful)
I = Inspiring (is it inspiring)
N= Necessary (is it necessary)
K= Kind (is it kind)

If what you are about to say or write fails any of the above its probably best to keep it to yourself..
Now this thread has really gone sideways so take from it the advice about the plant helper or the lesson about insulting others and hopefully we all are better growers and people when it comes to respecting each other and each other's opinions. Thanks....
Last edited by hollyhock on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
hollyhock, hollyhock, hollyhock and 2 others liked this
By Nancy
Briar wrote:I have been a planthelper fan for many years. Use it every month on all my cp's
From my heliamphoras to my villosa and macrophylla.

I know of at least three cp'ers who are microbiologist who also use it.
What I really like about it (besides the obvious fact that since using it I haven't had anymore issues with sudden collapse in my Heli's) is that it's flowable and dissolves much better in water than say the product Root Shield
Nancy liked this
By blucksy
Damn crazy thread. Maiden thanks for your help but calm down this is like the nicest community I've ever been in (although I play video games so its not that hard) thanks for the help Holly be sure to post updates because I really think this is interesting

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
blucksy liked this
By Maiden
Holly you bring a 4 yo thread, when i didnt realize some 'experts' can make misstakes or go wrong.
I hope your experience level will raise up enough to never blindly follow stranger's advices. If you want great helis, just give em the best growing conditions. Period.

Butch: Vandetta?

You called me a racist 2-3 years ago, and now you call me a stalker? Be very carefull when you said something like that in public my friend.

Are you trying to say that i cannot give my opinion on a plant? or about someone growing methods? Cps forums are public, and if you cannot take reviews without crying or diving into drama, then just quit.

Just a example, you said no need to drop the temps at night, and you support your theory with webpages about tepuy forecasts. You should learn that these temperature come from base camps, not the summit. So YES, heliamphoras gain great red coloration, and a better general health with temps drop.

What i said is my personnal opinion, even if you dont like my posts. By the way, you do the same thing. Your comments often point directly on me.

Now blucksy :)

I wrote 15+ articles about carnivorous plants, here, on ICPS, Royal botanical society and National geographic.
I registered the first heliamphora cultivar in history.
I help users here since years.
I made 38 plants/seeds givaways over the last 5 years, on 7 forums.

So please dont speak about the community, its ridiculous. I already know its the best one.

So guys, lets make a deal;

-I will keep growing great helis.
-I will continue to register great cultivars
-I will continue to win contests with my plants

Meanwhile, you can unpot all your plants and throw all this in tha magic potion :)

Now lets move foward and lets go back to growing plants.

Francois Boulianne
By Nauz
Trichoderma = good

Can't go wrong with letting a plant soak in it for up to 24hours. Have used it on all my plants, clones etc. In my opinion* if you are worried about SDS then trichoderma would not hurt your plants at all. No study on it about anything negative has been published thus far. Now SDS can be brought on by many factors and not just temps, humidity, watering, but also by bacteria, pests and fungus play a role in a plants sudden death. The term SDS is just a term to describe a plant that died unexpectedly without knowing the true cause.
Nauz liked this
By blucksy
Maiden wrote:Holly you bring a 4 yo thread, when i didnt realize some 'experts' can make misstakes or go wrong.
I hope your experience level will raise up enough to never blindly follow stranger's advices. If you want great helis, just give em the best growing conditions. Period.

Butch: Vandetta?

You called me a racist 2-3 years ago, and now you call me a stalker? Be very carefull when you said something like that in public my friend.

Are you trying to say that i cannot give my opinion on a plant? or about someone growing methods? Cps forums are public, and if you cannot take reviews without crying or diving into drama, then just quit.

Just a example, you said no need to drop the temps at night, and you support your theory with webpages about tepuy forecasts. You should learn that these temperature come from base camps, not the summit. So YES, heliamphoras gain great red coloration, and a better general health with temps drop.

What i said is my personnal opinion, even if you dont like my posts. By the way, you do the same thing. Your comments often point directly on me.

Now blucksy :)

I wrote 15+ articles about carnivorous plants, here, on ICPS, Royal botanical society and National geographic.

So please dont speak about the community, its ridiculous. I already know its the best one.

So guys, lets make a deal;

-I will keep growing great helis.
-I will continue to register great cultivars
-I will continue to win contests with my plants

Meanwhile, you can unpot all your plants and throw all this in tha magic potion :)

Now lets move foward and lets go back to growing plants.

Francois Boulianne
I think you misinterpreted what I said. I just said that this was a crazy thread which was unlike the community I perceived it was. I did not doubt if you knew about plants or if you wrote articles or what not.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
My apologizes ahead of time, this may get ugly.
Maiden wrote: I hope your experience level will raise up enough to never blindly follow stranger's advices.
Just for the record since you want to dwell on something you know nothing about( me following a "strangers" advice). The growers advice I followed is NOT a stranger to me. He was very active on here, but as life happens we put certain things on the side. I am still in contact with him on a regular basis, although he's not very active here right now. I have enough respect for others that I won't call him out on here by name, so don't expect that from me. All you need to know is his plants are just as nice as yours, to be honest probably nicer. And I respect him FAR more than you, especially now that I've seen the real you!
Maiden wrote: Are you trying to say that i cannot give my opinion on a plant? or about someone growing methods? Cps forums are public, and if you cannot take reviews without crying or diving into drama, then just quit.
You gave me advice about dumping Pepsi on my plants. Is that what you're referring to? Was that sound advice that a reputable grower would give out? No, it was intended as a shot at me personally. That shows your character. You feel the need to take shots at people who don't follow your antique growing methods. It's a new day, there are new techniques that work better than your old school growing methods. Deal with it!

As far as you questioning my logic. You don't even know me, you know nothing about me at all. You probably don't even know my first name. That tells me you have absolutely NO right to question me or what I do. You are not God, you have no right to judge me, my actions, or anybody else for that matter. Passing judgement on people is not helpful, it only hinders the progression of the hobby. So kudos to you for that step backwards!

Maybe you question my logic based on the fact that I don't feel the need to sit here and constantly post pics of my plants for validation from others. No offense to those that do, I enjoy the eye candy. It's just not my style.
Maiden wrote:I wrote 15+ articles about carnivorous plants, here, on ICPS, Royal botanical society and National geographic.
Oh but wait, because you wrote all of these articles, and named the first Heli cultivar. Does that make you special? NOPE, it does not. Do you want a cookie for for contributing? I have two pink cookies in a plastic bag, if you want those?

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
By Grey
Hey there,

I'd love to see how your plants do after the soaking, hollyhock! It sounds like a really intriguing way to combat a very real and frustrating problem and I really hope it works out for you. Please keep us updated!

The passion in this topic is good, to a point, but I think we're seriously running the risk of completely straying from the intention of the conversation. I'm very appreciative of the differing opinions of this practice that are being expressed, and I ask that we please endeavour to share those opinions in a way that is respectful and does not demean the individuals involved in the conversation. We want experiences (both positive and negative) to be shared so that everyone can grow, but it's how those experiences are shared that really makes the difference. I seriously don't expect everyone to get along all the time or to even like each other, but I would hope that all of our members would take each other into consideration whenever they post, even if they disagree or feel extremely provoked.

I'm confident that you can all resolve this among yourselves, and am grateful for what has been done already.

Hollyhock, how are your plants doing now?
Grey liked this
By Matt
Grey wrote:The passion in this topic is good, to a point, but I think we're seriously running the risk of completely straying from the intention of the conversation. I'm very appreciative of the differing opinions of this practice that are being expressed, and I ask that we please endeavour to share those opinions in a way that is respectful and does not demean the individuals involved in the conversation. We want experiences (both positive and negative) to be shared so that everyone can grow, but it's how those experiences are shared that really makes the difference. I seriously don't expect everyone to get along all the time or to even like each other, but I would hope that all of our members would take each other into consideration whenever they post, even if they disagree or feel extremely provoked.

I'm confident that you can all resolve this among yourselves, and am grateful for what has been done already.
hollyhock wrote:THINK before you speak or write. And here is what I mean:

T = Thoughtful (is it thoughtful)
H= Helpful (is it helpful)
I = Inspiring (is it inspiring)
N= Necessary (is it necessary)
K= Kind (is it kind)
Please keep these things in mind, everyone, for all future posts on this thread. Thanks!
Matt liked this
By hollyhock
Grey wrote:Hey there,

I'd love to see how your plants do after the soaking, hollyhock! It sounds like a really intriguing way to combat a very real and frustrating problem and I really hope it works out for you. Please keep us updated!

Hollyhock, how are your plants doing now?
I'm a believer... :D
27 days since the soak and you can see the growth. That pitcher on this H.Minor was non existent prior to the treatment. This is simply a way to grow better roots.
Better roots = Better healthier plants
Period. :D
Attachments:
New growth .. :)
New growth .. :)
IMG_20170213_133619.jpg (609.52 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
hollyhock, hollyhock liked this
By boarderlib
I would like to apologize to the followers of hollyhock's thread for my language in my last post. I would also like to apologize to admin and the mods for having to step in and edit out my language. So to the followers and admin and mods, I am truly sorry.

To hollyhock, I am very sorry for my potty mouth. I let someone get the better of me and lost my temper. For that I am also sorry. May your Heli's flourish, and you be blessed with many flowers. Your Heli looks like it's well on its way now!

And to contribute to the results of the soup.

Here's a couple of my H.purpurascens that I received September 9th that got soaked with trichoderma, and I water it in every month. The dried dying pitchers were on them when I got them, everything else has grown since.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!