FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Greenthumbs Garden
I'll be getting a couple of Neps Highlanders in the mail in a week and was looking for advice on potting media and pot size. I've read that you can add pine bark and so from orchid mixes. What do you nep growers recommend, it'll be my 1st neps, broadening my horizons from vfts.
Thanks for any suggestions,

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
It depends on the size of the plants. For very young plants, a 3" pot is probably fine. For larger ones, I'd go for at least 4" but it really depends on how much root mass there is. I actually have a Nepenthes 'Miranda' in a 3" pot right now with a leaf span around a foot and producing good-sized pitchers though I'm planning on putting it in a larger one soon. Some people may recommend larger pots, but highlanders tend to have smaller root systems than lowlanders.

A good basic soil mix for Nepenthes is 50:50 LFS:perlite. Live sphagnum works very well too. I've never found any reason to make the soil mix too complicated, though I expect epiphytic species would appreciate orchid bark in the mix.
By Greenthumbs Garden
Ah great ill be getting a Burki and a Ventri x Inermis I also orderd a litter of live sphagnum, dryed LFS or anything seem hard to find here but im coming across a lot of blond peat moss, so maybe ill use that with perlite. I don't know if you just dress the top with live sphagnum, ive not used it before
How quick do VFT roots grow?

Plant and other than watering, forget about it. Mi[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

If only more people knew

Good points!

they are back outside https://i.imgur.com/mW2klN[…]

took my neps outside, look at that moss! https:/[…]

+ bulk means that in addition to already-made pack[…]

Ah. I can find him on social media? He is on F[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1649. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!