FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dredd93
Ok I had my new light setup and plants are adapting from being movable to just stay under those lights (d.capensis).However I had this drosera Adelae, I picked him about two months ago, in the store they left him between the other plants with no light at all. I never move him from my windowsill as days passed dew vanished I got worried and place a disposable glass as a dome. Dew returned to the plant I only watered the plant each 2 weeks since soil was pretty wet.
There's been almost a month since I pull the dome so that he adapts to lower humidity like the other plants but he ain't doing well.
I already did some investigation about how other growers make him thrive, I'm confused about lightning I've seen some beautiful red coloration on the leaves but I also read that in nature they stay under some waterfalls and very little light passes through, what should I do in general?? Also one leave is twisting quite weird I'll attach a pic under but I think it's been too much for him to adapt
Thanks
By Leathal_Traps
I have found adelae to be a very adaptable plant, but when it dislikes the conditions it's put in it takes a while to get used to the new conditions. Many growers including myself have found that adelae does best in pure long fibered sphagnum moss ( dead or alive). When grown in peat based mixes, my plants form thinner more brittle roots, but when grows in lfs the roots become really thick and form plantlets all over the place. I would repot into pure sphagnum and keep the humidity dome on.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BA5Hi8Hv_JP ... =ivanikinz

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAduiOpP_N2 ... =ivanikinz
By Dredd93
Leathal_Traps wrote:I have found adelae to be a very adaptable plant, but when it dislikes the conditions it's put in it takes a while to get used to the new conditions. Many growers including myself have found that adelae does best in pure long fibered sphagnum moss ( dead or alive). When grown in peat based mixes, my plants form thinner more brittle roots, but when grows in lfs the roots become really thick and form plantlets all over the place. I would repot into pure sphagnum and keep the humidity dome on.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BA5Hi8Hv_JP ... =ivanikinz

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAduiOpP_N2 ... =ivanikinz
Really good Adelae's you got in there I really would like to change to LFS but the damn stores in here don't have it, do you think coconut husk may work or it will build up minerals???
I know it's strange they don't have LFS.
The materials they have are peat moss, coconut husk, perlite, vermiculite and a supposedly silica sand.
Man you really been on CPs as I understand very good growings.
Still would like to know if there are other mixes that can help him a bit

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
I have found D. adelae to be very temperamental and extremely slow to adapt to new conditions, especially changes in light intensity. I think it took me about 3 months to adjust my plant from growing under a skylight (not enough) to growing on the very edge of the range of my T5 fixture. It is, however, nearly impossible to kill. My plant would constantly pop up new growth points around the pot when it was unhappy. Be careful with a humidity dome as it could easily result in a botrytis infection (been there, done that.)

I will second the idea of repotting it into LFS. My plant has done much better since I switched from peat, though I use 50:50 LFS:perlite. If the store you visit has "orchid moss" that's LFS and will do nicely. I bought a good-sized brick of Spagmoss brand LFS on eBay myself as it was the best price I could find and will last me years.

I doubt coconut husk would work. It is very similar to peat, but generally contains a lot of mineral salts that are very difficult to remove before it is safe for CP use.
By Dredd93
Well turns out the damn stores that sell orchids wouldn't sell me the LFS until I gave them the right name they know they are a bit of a trolls.
Nimbulan thanks for remembering me the relation with orquids and CPs they do have some LFS.
Going back to the adaptation part should I keep this guy under strong lightning??? Or shall I place him under full shade??
What works best?
(I'd like him to go bigger)
Thanks and sorry for my spelling

Enviado desde mi HTC Desire 626s mediante Tapatalk
By Leathal_Traps
I agree with sundew wolf, keep it under bright light. One adjustment period is better than two. Also, don't worry if it looks like crap for a few weeks. A plant I gave to my friend took about a month to start looking dewy again
Leathal_Traps liked this

One week into our contest, and here are the standi[…]

For you? It's any size pot you like. Just use […]

Input on Neps placement

That sounds perfect. I've got to adjust my plant[…]

This is a good read about light requirements of ca[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1675. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1674. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!