FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By hollyhock
I always search this forum or the web before asking a redundant question. I have listed my sundews and my main concern is that I have some that do not require dormancy and some that will become dormant. I live in Michigan and plan on placing the non dormant plants in a terrarium for the winter. The filiformis plants are the ones that I could not find good information about how to care for them during dormancy. I want to keep them alive so any advice about watering, light requirements, temperature, do they just start going dormant by themselves etc...would really be appreciated.... Thanks in advance. :D

Forked leaf
Frasier island
Alicea
D. Cspensis alba
D. Caoeensis red
D.filiformis
Binata- Marston Dragon
Filformis Tracyii
Florida Giant Drosera
Florida red Drosera
Rotundifolia, Intermedia - spoonleaf or hybrids
By SerMuncherIV
In your climate, the temperate forms of filiformis will start going dormant by themselves around late September/October - namely, D. filiformis and D. tracyi. However, both forms which are native to Florida - the All Red and Giant form - are not very cold hardy and make excellent terrarium plants.
SerMuncherIV liked this
By SerMuncherIV
It's best to just keep them outside and let them have their dormancy naturally. If you frequently get harsh winds and very low temperatures (<20F), then it may be beneficial to bury or place the pots in a protected area and cover with a tarp or mulch with pine needles. If you cover the pots, make sure that there's some form of ventilation so that the plants don't rot. Once all the late frosts have passed in spring, it should be safe to take your plants out again. Basically, regular dormancy for any old temperate CP.
By hollyhock
We get below 0° F into negative temperatures with heavy snowfalls. They will freeze solid? Are you sure that's how I should treat them?....this is the first year growing carnivorous plants... I have not taken any of them through dormancy before. These plants are in net pots in LFS. Is there an inside method?
By bvalente
I am from michigan as well and for sundews that do not require dormancy, they do fine next to a window on the window sill. Just put them in the room that gets the most sunlight. Same with VFT honestly.

Welcome from another Michigan grower check my collection and pictures and see that ponta flourish here as well many can vouch for my plants but trust me, here is fine to grow anything but for colder temperatures you have to make some adjustments. I keep all my sundews and VFT outside until temperatures consistently fall below freezing. Sundews I'll bring in once they start dropping into the 40s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bvalente liked this
By SundewWolf
bvalente wrote:I am from michigan as well and for sundews that do not require dormancy, they do fine next to a window on the window sill. Just put them in the room that gets the most sunlight. Same with VFT honestly.
I second this, even my 'cold hardy' sundews like rotundifolia & intermedia are tossed onto my windowsill October-May. I grow D. s. frasier's island, capensis, binata, aliceae like tropical sundews (directly under growlights for the winter).
By nimbulan
Some people will also use their garage for dormancy if it's too cold outside.

One thing to note: D. intermedia has both temperate and tropical forms. You should try to figure out which one you have so you can care for it accordingly.
By David F
hollyhock wrote: Forked leaf
Frasier island
Alicea
D. Cspensis alba
D. Caoeensis red
D.filiformis
Binata- Marston Dragon
Filformis Tracyii
Florida Giant Drosera
Florida red Drosera
Rotundifolia, Intermedia - spoonleaf or hybrids
Frasier island-
Spatulata does not go dormant but may die back to the roots in zones above 6a and still survive (even exposed) though it is better to grow them in a windowsill or subtropical

aliciae-
Grows exclusively tropical, and although it is very hardy and will come back from the roots, it should not be placed outside during winter.

D. capensis alba& others-
Despite common belief, capensis have rather wet and "cool" winters in the Cape of South Africa, they may form hibernacula in presence of unfavorable and cold conditions. However 7b or lower is not appropriate for them without protection.

D. Filliformis
A temperate dew found in a few parts of SE U.S., take care that this dew does not get *too* cold, 6a or lower will require some kind of protection (like mulching or large pot)

All of these require weaker dormancies, and some like All red have been known to require no dormancy, many will not be suitable for 6a or lower in exposed-small-pots-

Binata- Marston Dragon
Filformis Tracyii
Florida Giant Drosera
Florida red Drosera
Last edited by David F on Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By hollyhock
I have been to the grow sundews website. Although it is a very good resource it gives some contrary information. There is very little there about the filiformis which is the plant for which I had the most questions. Still wondering if I reduce the watering a little while these plants are in dormancy. I bought these sticky critters to control the fungus knats in my greenhouse. They do a great job. Especially the forked leaf. Thanks
By David F
Filliformis goes dormant along with Sarracenia, unless the variety is "All Red" which can be kept without a dormancy (I believe).

Check out Sundewman's youtube channel, it supplements his website nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sundewman
Is this a steal?

The first one is a Nepenthes x 'Ventrata' like Pan[…]

...and now you know better how to plan. ;)

My two go to choices are https://www.greenhouseme[…]

Catching the Nep fever

I have some seed grown neps if you are intersted. […]

You can try it. You don't want it in the window si[…]

Results of self pollinating?

Seeds, gray area. Plants, if shipping across state[…]

tommyr's grow list

pm'ed ya!

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

just pm'ed you!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!