FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By KissMegan
Hey guys,
I've noticed every time I run to the local nursery for peat moss and I don't do something to clean it there is just outrageous amounts of fungi that starts growing in it. I know I know "buy better peat moss" which I can do, but sometimes I just don't have the time to wait for it to be shipped and everything.
I normally boil water and pour it on the peat moss and also put a small batch in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Not even sure if this is killing anything but man I just hate the nasty fungi junk that grows in it when I have plant in there. I also wonder if this fungi is coming from the small twigs and wood pieces that also come in the peat moss, i usually try picking it all out but I know I cant get all of it.
One time I had to throw an unopened bag of peat moss because when I went to use it I saw a bunch of strange gunk growing in there.
Anyone have any other tips for cleaning peat moss? Also any good brands to choose from?
I have a batch I cleaned and sprayed with a bunch of fungicide. Not really sure what else I can do to cut back on orange bulging fungi growing in pots.
By Mufasa
all i do is put peat moss in a large tub full of rain water, swish it around, check TDS, and collander out
By David F
I would suggest not microwaving your peat moss, the best that's going to do it break it down more so fungi can more readily invade it without competing with bacteria/other fungi.

The best way to clean your moss is the hard way, washing and rinsing it.
If your tap water is clean, go ahead and use that, for preliminary rinses at least!

Unlike shampoo, the advice to rinse and repeat actually applies here.

Here's the masterful advice from Sundewman, and used by Tamlin (sundew king?).

http://www.growsundews.com/rinsing_peat ... lants.html
By tish
To prevent soil messing all over the place. Use a laundry bag for delicate cloths in washing machine. Or old shirt tie up all the holes except the bottom for you to fill the peat. Tie that up after filling and drop it into a pail. Rinse n squeeze for a few pails times and perhaps soak peat in water for a couple of days. Works well for me from day 1.
tish liked this
By David F
^^ yup, or get some pantyhose from walmart, they are good cause they stretch well and are infinitely reusable and cheap.

I got the Queen-sized ones, walked up to the counter and said "I don't need a bag for these, I'm not ashamed of my purchase". The employee just said, "credit or debit?"
By Robster_24
I actually have pretty good results with the microwave method. I hear it until it gets to 200F and that just about kills everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By KissMegan
ps3isawesome wrote:oooooo i really love Tish's laundry bag technique, i'm def GOING TO TRY THAT NEXT TIME.
That's actually what I've been doing haha. I got these thin cloth bag type things that had some linens in them (when I bought them) I stuff them with sand or peat and dunk them in water and squeeze then again until the water turns yucky. Then I change the water and continue :) so far so good and you don't lose as much peat moss this way :D
KissMegan liked this
By SundewWolf
Robster_24 wrote:I actually have pretty good results with the microwave method. I hear it until it gets to 200F and that just about kills everything.

Yes, but if the moss is broken down further, what's stopping a new fungus from recolonize it? There will always be spores in the air.
By Robster_24
SundewWolf wrote:
Robster_24 wrote:I actually have pretty good results with the microwave method. I hear it until it gets to 200F and that just about kills everything.

Yes, but if the moss is broken down further, what's stopping a new fungus from recolonize it? There will always be spores in the air.

yes that is true, but I would still do it if you are starting seeds because it will buy the seedlings some time before the fungus could grow

By KissMegan
So I was actually having an issue with fungus and decided to do an experiment with like 6 pots being watered regularly with only medium. It was like one was pure peat one was peat perlite. One sand. One peat sand etc. Sufficient to say I found out that the perlite I've been using is what's been causing the fungus growth. Grrrr! Never using perlite again haha
By KissMegan
entropy81 wrote:Were you washing the perlite too?
Yes perlite got washed. It's this huge bag of perlite I bought that's been giving me the trouble. I never had trouble with small bags I'd buy. I think I'm just going to use pumice and sand now to be on the safe side (I wash those too)

Does anyone have multiple H. sarracenioides clones[…]

Help! My VFT is dying

What about the good Looking ones. Will they go Dor[…]

Water Quality

I used to have a pool/spa at my house in CA. The m[…]

I'd def keep it. Sometimes plants (in general, not[…]

A 15-hour photoperiod is good, yes.

I too am wondering when to start the transition. I[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

OP lives in Poland.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!