FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
Beautiful - congratulations on your acquisition! The petals of the flower look too spindly to be a Sethos, but it could be a P. moranensis; it's interesting, P. moranensis flowers can look very different from each other despite being the same species. It's hard to say, really. I do think it's possibly the moranensis.
By tish
Grey wrote:Beautiful - congratulations on your acquisition! The petals of the flower look too spindly to be a Sethos, but it could be a P. moranensis; it's interesting, P. moranensis flowers can look very different from each other despite being the same species. It's hard to say, really. I do think it's possibly the moranensis.
Thanks for trying Grey. I must say Pings are totally new to me. All I know now is that they requires very little water and they all looked the same to me, even the flowers! I have to start researching about them. Perhaps I should keep it as P. Sethos for now since it was narrowed down by some experienced people from the growers here until I can get a confirmation on the name.... I hope.
By Grey
To be honest, I'm doubly uncertain because not only do moranensis flowers vary wildly but the foliage on your plant is rather quirky. It could be the transition between its carnivorous and succulent growth states making it look like it's tried out some hair curlers, but I can't say for certain. It may be an idea just to label it "moranensis hybrid", because the plant does look like a moranensis hybrid of some sort, if not an actual moranensis. (P. 'Sethos' is a moranensis hybrid, too.)

A real head scratcher!
Grey liked this
By tish
You were a great help! Naming a plant wrong might create some mistake for people to use as reference in future. Not that it's a big deal but hey, at least we minimised it and save people from confusion :) Thanks again!
By NatchGreyes
The flowers are a bit different from ordinary moranensis. A source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinguicula ... arison.jpg.

My guess is that you have a hybrid of some sort. (My guess is that is would be with P. ehlersiae, but I can't be sure on that one). P. 'Sethos' is a cross between ehlersiae and moranensis. Yours could be the same cross, but not necessary 'Sethos' (or the reverse, 'Weser').
By tish
NatchGreyes wrote:The flowers are a bit different from ordinary moranensis. A source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinguicula ... arison.jpg.

My guess is that you have a hybrid of some sort. (My guess is that is would be with P. ehlersiae, but I can't be sure on that one). P. 'Sethos' is a cross between ehlersiae and moranensis. Yours could be the same cross, but not necessary 'Sethos' (or the reverse, 'Weser').

Thanks for the attempt Natch, looking at the info from the link you provide makes me confuse more. The flowers characterstic are really not stable. I don't think I want to try to identify this one I have. Sticking to Moranensis Hybrid :lol:
tish liked this

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Sundew in forest

Catfish won't eat mosquito larvae as the larvae a[…]

VFT nice catch

Ah, that's a crane fly! Also called mosquito hawks[…]

Im not sure if May is open yet, if it is this is m[…]

Would I be allowed to request seeds for both April[…]

I have an indoor grow light setup I'd like to try […]

im not sure as the door isnt on yet (my dads makin[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!