FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
I've seen some older VFTs for sale at lowes but this one seemed especially large. I think it's the "mature" size from bug biting plants. I figured I would buy this one and see if it can get any larger during the growing season. (Probably not lol, but I like it as-is anyways). Right now I don't have a ruler, so I can't measure exactly how long the traps are.
Attachments:
DSCN3507.JPG
DSCN3507.JPG (656.98 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
DSCN3506.JPG
DSCN3506.JPG (491.5 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
DSCN3505.JPG
DSCN3505.JPG (583.18 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
DSCN3503.JPG
DSCN3503.JPG (478.76 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
Last edited by SundewWolf on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Kevonicus
I have a monster VFT from lowes as well. I've had mine for over 2 years and it's number two in terms of the largest traps out of my 50 varieties next to my g17. I wonder if its from the same cultivated variety. Seems to be very hardy, huge traps, and large upright growth (on mine at least). Very comparable to king henry or big vigorous.
By SundewWolf
Kevonicus wrote:I have a monster VFT from lowes as well. I've had mine for over 2 years and it's number two in terms of the largest traps out of my 50 varieties next to my g17. I wonder if its from the same cultivated variety. Seems to be very hardy, huge traps, and large upright growth (on mine at least). Very comparable to king henry or big vigorous.
Yeah wow, that reminds me I have a king henry! lol. Its small right now though because it was one of the victims of the rot I had this summer and is going dormant now. I hope it will have some comparable growth next summer!
By tank180
Wow, those are bigger than some of the special"large traps" cultivars you could buy! :lol:
I have actually bought a plant at Lowes with similar trap sizes, and since all my growing is done outdoors, i find that the traps quickly die after the hardening off process, and the leaves grow back to normal size for the typical age of shipped flytraps from big companies(2-3 years old).

What do you guys think they are doing to the plants before shipping them? It seems that just two years ago i never came across plants these sizes at Lowes. Very interesting. "Bug biting plants" is usually the monster size brand at my local Lowes.
By SundewWolf
i'm not sure why the trpas would grow back smaller after the old leaves die, unless the rhizome was damaged as well. This one is a recent shipment so I don't believe it had too much time to become light deprived. I'm honestly just wanting to see if it's able to grow larger next summer. If not, I'll toss this one or donate it to a greenhouse. I have had an "Akai ryu" get similar sized traps during the peak of it's growth before it rotted off.
By SundewWolf
As of today, I'm guessing its a bit light starved lol. The leaves reminded me of lettuce. Cultivars get priority lighting in my house, but I got lights for a second shelf today so it should resume normal growth soon.
Attachments:
DSCN3998.JPG
DSCN3998.JPG (675.09 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
By Elite-Agent-Jin
What type of cultiver is this? I just bought two at Lowes today, and I was wondering why they were so big and long.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!