FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Dionae
I think maybe I got the upgraded directions because mine have been pretty clear and well illustrated. I am also in the idiot club so most of my mistakes have been me not paying attention to the directions lol.

My better half mows too haha! Its a deal though. I pushmowed an acre for the first five years so she promised if we got a riding mower she and the boys would do it from then on.

Yours looks really good...actually at the exact stage mine is in:).
Dionae liked this
By Matt
Yours is looking good too Steve!

I don't recall having as much of a problem assembling the 10x12 as you are having. I had done 2 prior to that though, so perhaps I just knew what to expect in terms of directions. I put mine up in a day and a half -- after spending a couple of days getting the foundation set.

Looking forward to seeing both of your all's GHs done!
Matt, Matt liked this
By Dionae
I wish I could have mine done so fast. I'm going to build a wooden frame inside it though. Hopefully be finished with the GH this weekend then i have to connect my 6x8 to the front of the 10x12 and make one structure, build tables and mount a screen door onto the front of the 6x8. Maybe next week this time I'll be finished...mostly anyway.
By sbrooks
Dionae wrote:I think maybe I got the upgraded directions because mine have been pretty clear and well illustrated.
Matt wrote: I don't recall having as much of a problem assembling the 10x12 as you are having. I had done 2 prior to that though, so perhaps I just knew what to expect in terms of directions. I put mine up in a day and a half......
sbrooks wrote:Granted, I am an idiot......

I think I'm starting to get the picture. :oops:
sbrooks, sbrooks, sbrooks liked this
By Matt
sbrooks wrote:
Dionae wrote:I think maybe I got the upgraded directions because mine have been pretty clear and well illustrated.
Matt wrote: I don't recall having as much of a problem assembling the 10x12 as you are having. I had done 2 prior to that though, so perhaps I just knew what to expect in terms of directions. I put mine up in a day and a half......
sbrooks wrote:Granted, I am an idiot......

I think I'm starting to get the picture. :oops:
:lol:
By Grey
Brilliant greenhouse! I have a mini one that is currently full of old aquatics stuff... I may use it for alpine strawberries next year although there is the obvious temptation for fly traps.

Although, I'd love a greenhouse that big, I could actually sit inside it and do the gardening.... Ohhh a girl can dream right?! :lol: I do hope you both are able to get them finished soon. Thanks for the pictures!
Grey, Grey liked this
By Dionae
Heres an update. Finally got all of the panels in and secured with screws, rubber washers and silicon caulk, the frame built and some cedar posts in for my tables legs. I am not carpentry inclined so this has been a PIA to say the least. Tomorrow the base will be filled with gravel. Was going to go with pea but I think im going with plain gravel because its a lighter color and should help keep things cooler.

I am not going to mount the 6x8 to the front atm. Id have to build a base for it and that would really blow my budget. Instead i'm going to put a recycled screen door on the front of it. Should have the outside completely done tomorrow...unless I decide to put the tables in before I do the doors. Not sure yet.

The tables are going to be cool. I plan on building a smaller table in the middle to fill with biofilter plants, putting in a reservoir and pumping water through the filter plant table through to my sarrs and try to combat algae a lil. I'm hoping i'll be completely done mid week.

Why no frame up top? I'm going to use braided steel wire to secure the A frame to the structure ;) .
Attachments:
Frame up
Frame up
DSCF5850.JPG (330.02 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
All reframed in
All reframed in
DSCF5879.JPG (322.06 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
My twin standing where my screen door will be
My twin standing where my screen door will be
DSCF5888.JPG (213.73 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
Panels screwed into place and siliconed around the edges
Panels screwed into place and siliconed around the edges
DSCF5889.JPG (168.17 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
Inside with the cedar posts  in place
Inside with the cedar posts in place
DSCF5890.JPG (222.26 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
Dionae, Dionae liked this
By sbrooks
I finished the roof, but didn't want to finish the side panels until the weather drops a bit; right now, we have another week or so of 80 degree temps. I figured with the roof complete, I could start moving plants in. But I wanted to finish the floor first. I took the expensive route with paver stones.

The discolored stones were older ones that I had in the yard already; they'll be covered by tables anyway.

I'm going to caulk all but maybe 8 panels, which I will secure with removable clips, so that in the summer those spaces can be screened for lots of extra ventilation.

ERIC, excellent idea with the 2 x4s and redoing the door; the sliding doors supplied don't seem like they seal up very well. I'll definitely have to modify the edges to create a better seal.

Also, great idea with the screws and the rubber washers. I will probably add that at some point myself.
I've considered reinforcing the frame as well, but for now have elected to take my chances with what was supplied in the kit. I did anchor the whole thing with four post anchors driven a couple feet into the ground.

MATT, you had some recent photos of your greenhouses posted; in one of them, there is a yellow hose hanging down; just curious: is this some sort of home made misting system?
sbrooks liked this
By Matt
Looking good Steve!
sbrooks wrote:MATT, you had some recent photos of your greenhouses posted; in one of them, there is a yellow hose hanging down; just curious: is this some sort of home made misting system?
Yeah, it is a misting system. I haven't used it in a couple of years though. I bought it for growing Heliamphora here in the summer, but it didn't really work out all that well for them. Flytraps don't really need the extra humidity, so I gave up on it.
Matt, Matt liked this
By Dionae
All thats left to do is put plastic over the remaining tables, silicon in a few more panels and put the door on :D . There are plants in it because I wasnt confident in my leveling abilities and wanted to test out the tables :oops: . They seem to be perfectly level.
Attachments:
DSCF5998.JPG
DSCF5998.JPG (238.78 KiB) Viewed 5213 times
DSCF6001.JPG
DSCF6001.JPG (255.24 KiB) Viewed 5213 times
DSCF6002.JPG
DSCF6002.JPG (100.98 KiB) Viewed 5213 times
DSCF6005.JPG
DSCF6005.JPG (123.74 KiB) Viewed 5213 times
DSCF6007.JPG
DSCF6007.JPG (111.59 KiB) Viewed 5213 times
DSCF6008.JPG
DSCF6008.JPG (153.02 KiB) Viewed 5213 times
DSCF6010.JPG
DSCF6010.JPG (129.75 KiB) Viewed 5213 times
DSCF6011.JPG
DSCF6011.JPG (177.99 KiB) Viewed 5213 times
DSCF6014.JPG
DSCF6014.JPG (123.89 KiB) Viewed 5213 times
Dionae liked this
CalCarn Hitchhiker

Hey all, I unboxed my Dionaea m. Ginormous from Ca[…]

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Is this normal?

Follow-up on the ventratas. I did some research on[…]

I’m a noob, so the only info I can offer you[…]

Hello from New England

Welcome from a fellow noob!

hi: im feedmesemore

Welcome forum a fellow noob!

Trying My Hand With TC

So I am more of the type that learns by doing rath[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!