FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
Found this guy for 7 bucks at the nursery today. I'm not 100% sure if this clump is a result of TC or a natural occurrence. Either way I got a bunch of akai ryu flytraps! lol.

I do seem to be having a minor issue growing red flytraps though. I have mine in full sun (9am-4pm) and they seem to just "get by" (akai ryu, pink venus, red pirahna, sd phoenix). They are still half green and I have yet to see one "completely red". Do they like to be kept drier that green flytraps? I'm guessing yes because of reduced photosynthesis = less water uptake?
I had a bit of an overwatering issue while i was away in late june so idk if they are still just recovering from rotted roots... What happened was that some newly forming traps turned black which leads me to think I need to keep them drier.

My ceph, heli minor, darlingtonia, and d. regia are all fine but I've killed akai ryu 3 or 4 times now! My big (4 inch petiole)red pirahna also rotted away.
Attachments:
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG (441.96 KiB) Viewed 3630 times
IMG_1679.JPG
IMG_1679.JPG (419.12 KiB) Viewed 3630 times
By SundewWolf
yeah, I wish the sunlight was on them sunrise to sunset, but in order to do that they would have to sit in the middle of my lawn. (all the trees, houses, garages, patio tent, etc. cast shadows throughout the day.) Maybe when I move back to campus in a week i'll put them in the greenhouse so they get more light.
By kronos1996
Do you set them in a tray of water? Your watering methods would be fine if they were sitting in full sun, but since they're not you will have to be more careful. BTW I'm just starting college too! Where do you live?
By kronos1996
On a side note are you interested in 'Maroon Monster'? If so I have a very healthy young division about the size of a quarter to trade. They are superior to every other red clone in both size and vigor. If you have a division of D. Regia I might be persuaded to trade the little fella! Of course I would also settle for Cephalotus, Darlingtonia or Heliamphora. I wish to broaden my collection from just VFT's you see... I happen to have a are division of Dana's Delight, 'Grun' and several small sundews which came in the same pot, 'Spatulata' I believe. With school about to start it just seems a good time to do a couple of final trades...
By SundewWolf
kronos1996 wrote:On a side note are you interested in 'Maroon Monster'? If so I have a very healthy young division about the size of a quarter to trade. They are superior to every other red clone in both size and vigor. If you have a division of D. Regia I might be persuaded to trade the little fella! Of course I would also settle for Cephalotus, Darlingtonia or Heliamphora. I wish to broaden my collection from just VFT's you see... I happen to have a are division of Dana's Delight, 'Grun' and several small sundews which came in the same pot, 'Spatulata' I believe. With school about to start it just seems a good time to do a couple of final trades...
I am very interested in maroon monster. I did already say I could trade with the guy who has the purple ambush, but if he finds a regia elsewhere, I guess I would have a spare (This is of course if it roots well, I haven't unpotted my regia to check on the division). I'm not sure if i want Maroon or purp ambush more!

As for ceph,heli,&darlingtonia I don't currently have any sizeable divisions. They are growing well, just not enough to repot them and break off rhizomes yet. Maybe next year I will have some.
By kronos1996
The Regia would be fine then! If you have any interesting VFT clones I might go with one of those... Purple Ambush is one I badly want as well, it is new and rare but Maroon Monster is tried and true. Mine came with a baby and has divided two more times already and this is while it had no traps and was recovering from severe sunburn! Its barely bigger than a quarter! It has impressed me to no end, I would definitely reccomend it as an essential part of any collection! I want to test Purple Ambush but I cannot vouch for its abilities as a plant other than it supposedly has a slightly darker red on the inside of its traps. I'm trying to be unbiased but in reality Maroon Monster is likely a more impressive plant, Purple Ambush is simply more rare. Anyways, your choice!
Do these look like spider mites eggs?

For the last couple of weeks I have been battling […]

WTB Drosera...

I have binatas var multifida, extrema, dichotoma &[…]

Noob with questions

Always look for new growth coming from the center.[…]

see here http://pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pingu[…]

look here, good idea for ping culture http://pingu[…]

What the f-

I think it was a result of pesticides and / or the[…]

Oxygen Rot/Eating Itself

You won’t be able to save the trap, but the […]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

An assortment of sundews.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!