FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Leo756
I noticed this bee kept crawling around all over my Scarlet Belle Sarr today, but fortunately it was too fat to fall all the way down inside any of the pitchers.
bee on scarlet belle.png
bee on scarlet belle.png (1.78 MiB) Viewed 1653 times
I know honeybees are becoming endangered; I'm not sure about bumblebees, but I always feel guilty whenever any of my plants catch any type of bee since they're all so beneficial for pollination.

I also saw this darn bugger crawling around on my VFT's. I don't know exactly what they are, but they hop around like a grasshopper or cricket and they always chew holes in all of my plants all over the deck, so I'm always trying to eradicate them.
grasshopper on VFT.png
grasshopper on VFT.png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 1653 times
I kept waiting for this one to get caught in one of the traps, but when it started chewing on it instead, that did it! I caught it in a plastic cup and it's in the refrigerator right now until it's suppertime for my plants! They're almost impossible to handle with tweezers because even those big long back legs they use to jump around with usually come completely off! Gee, great evolutionary tactic there, bud. I guess it doesn't matter as long as their mouth can still chew on leaves. Grrrrr!!!
Leo756 liked this
By Leo756
Why do my skinny Sarr's only attract bugs that are too big to fit down inside?! Grrrr!!!
DSCF5256.JPG
DSCF5256.JPG (164.83 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
By SundewWolf
Leo756 wrote: I also saw this darn bugger crawling around on my VFT's. I don't know exactly what they are, but they hop around like a grasshopper or cricket and they always chew holes in all of my plants all over the deck, so I'm always trying to eradicate them.
grasshopper on VFT.png
I kept waiting for this one to get caught in one of the traps, but when it started chewing on it instead, that did it!
I'm fairly certain that its a katydid. When I was a kid I raised a few as pets. They get about 7 times bigger (adult molt is thumb sized around here). And yeah, katydids eat leaves like crazy! They'll mow down your plants.
SundewWolf liked this
By Leo756
Thanks, SundewWolf. I thought they might be baby katydids, but I wasn't sure. At least that one became a katyDIDN'T!

I don't have any really good advice for you. If no[…]

Boy this is hard work

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A[…]

Hi from FNQ.

G'day!

I’ll be honest, I’ll probably end up[…]

I get peat moss in the traps every time I repot in[…]

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

Ok great! I had just wondered if they were at all […]

Drosera seeds in water?

Unfortunately, most of my experiments with Drosera[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!