FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cadorn
Hi! I am celebrating, because my first Saracenia, a Tarnak, survived the winter in my sunroom AND now has new blossoms! I am posting this for two reasons: 1) the sheer beauty of the new blossoms needs to be shared, and 2) a question: why are they so different from the original plants? These blooms have multiple layers, unlike the smooth (albeit capped/ hooded) tube of the parents. I can't see how they will somehow morph together to look like the others. So what is going on? They even look like they will have hanging fringe parts!
Thanks for your help! And thanks for being people who can appreciate the joy over plants surviving AND new growth! :D
Connie
Attachments:
Sarcenia Buds.jpg
Sarcenia Buds.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
By Rmac88
Those new blossoms are actually the plants flower! They are not carnivorous leaves like the "tubes" the plant came with. This just means your plant is healthy enough to flower :-) congrats!

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
By cadorn
Wonderful! This is really exciting. The buds are opening, with multiple petals, so it just gets better and better in terms of watching, intriguing to figure out what the final result will look like. THANK YOU for the quick response!

My sunroom got down to the low 40s (even with a space heater inside), so I was really worried. But apart from one or two battered-looking ones, as a whole it has looked good through the whole winter. Now I am getting it used to being outside, putting it out during the day and bringing in when the temperature is forecast to be in the mid 40s or lower. So far so good! One last bit: fascinating and repulsive at the same time, the first day they were put outside. They must have had a powerful scent that I did not notice, for the flies swarmed and covered them. After the first day of getting filled up, things went back to normal. But that first day would have qualified for a special effects movie segment.
Connie
By cadorn
Post script: Will they produce seeds that will fall to the ground and sprout, or what? Do I just leave the flowers alone until finally they stop blooming and die, like a regular flower? Thanks for your help!
By Rmac88
I love when they send up flowers! I had some Sarracenia when I was 10 my dad helped my plant and I was always fascinated. Your plant looks great, luckily most pitcher plants are extremely hardy so the temps in the 40's at night shouldn't hurt them too bad, especially as the temps are rising getting into summer. As far as if they will produce seed on their own I cannot answer :-( but I'm sure a more knowledgeable member will let you know.

I just got my first Sarracenia since I was a kid, so it has been a loooonh while :-p

Rmac88 liked this
By SFLguy
If I'm not mistaken, Tarnok, although visually impressive, is sterile unfortunately

By cadorn
My first reaction, with the Kentucky Derby being this past weekend: that's like having a gelding win the Derby - sad and glorious at the same time! (This year it wasn't a gelding, but….. You get my point! :) ) But if the flowers are sterile, then I will assume the plant manages to reproduce some other way (otherwise they would be extinct!) If memory serves from last spring when I got mine, new growths come up from the ground. Correct?
By SFLguy
Nope, it will get new growth points but those are part of the same plant, the only way to create more is to produce them through cuttings or by splitting the rhizome, Tarnok is not a variation that reproduces in the wild, it is a cultivar that has been put in circulation

SFLguy liked this
How quick do VFT roots grow?

Water the same using tray method but top water a f[…]

Metal Detector Frequency For Gold

Learn The Basics [https://goldxtradetector.com/met[…]

Metal Detector Frequency For Gold

Learn The Basics [https://goldxtradetector.com/met[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

If only more people knew

Good points!

they are back outside https://i.imgur.com/mW2klN[…]

took my neps outside, look at that moss! https:/[…]

+ bulk means that in addition to already-made pack[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!