FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
This is my new terrarium, I have been working on it for about a month now. Now that the plants are settle, i just thought about posting pics of it! :)

In the terrarium there are:
1 heli minor
1 ceph
1 drosera capensis
2-3 drosera capensis alba
1-2 drosera albino
5-8 several drosera burmanniees.
6 nepenthes: rajah, lowii, sanguinea orange, ventricosa, ramispina
1 VFT
1 clump of U. Sandersonii
1 clump of U. Longifolia
several strands of spanish moss( not really a moss, but a bromeliad)
1tillandsia ionantha: fuego, rosita, conehead.

and still need to add a pinguicula suitable for a terrarium!

For those who wonder how i'm keeping the heli and ceph together without much problem. the trick to this is that for both plants, the roots are "hanging" in a hole below the moss, and the surrounding has stones. so both plants receive enough humidity specially for the Heli, but the water ( i use a spray bottle) just drips directly into the big cracks, the roots only touch the water drops for a very little amount of time i'm guessing( since i can't look below the soil), and then fall directly down to the bottom, the plant receives good air circulation although i don't use a fan, and sounds like all plants are doing fine. I have created a micro ecosystem inside a large micro ecosystem! and all with the same requirements, simply add the stones for the ones that need it and you're good to go! :)

The media below is silica sand, then very little peat moss, and then Long fiber spaghnum moss, then the live moss. temps in the day: 70F, and 60F in the night, or colder at times.
Apart from receiving light from the grow panel 45, i leave the curtains open, so they get natural light as well,and about 20 or so minutes of filter sunlight from the really late afternoon.

VFT in-vitro with flowerstalk! This one by the size of the plant, looks like an 3 year old vft.

Some sarracenias seedlings, these babies are receiving light from a regular light bulb. They germinated two days later after i sow them. They had a rest period of 9 months, so that explains everything! Next to that container, there are more sarra seedlings germinating, and ceph pulling.

Drosera gemmae germinating and growing well:
ImageImage

Live moss growing outside in temps of 50F-25F, they are receiving all the sun light they can, and natural daylight as well, i hope to have a good colony of it! :

Darlingtonia Californica, The larger ones i bought in Ebay, the other one i bought from the http://www.flytrapstore.com , and is a cute little guy, I have to say that for the price, the plant is of a really good size if you think about how long it will take to grow one to that size.

Sarracenia Leuchopylla Hurricane Creek:

S. Purpurea:

S. X Catesbaei:

Temperate pings:

Echeveria Glauca,and lithops:

By the way, these beauties truly look like this, they are getting all the morning, and part of the noon sun, plus getting natural daylight all day long, These might be dormant but they look better as far as color, they have more amazing colors in winter than in summer, that is just my opinion though. (honestly, they look better all year long :D )

Spanish moss hanging. my plans with this moss is to eventually cover the entire floor of this moss,and hang it, and i plan to do this with the tropical greenhouse.
Image Image

D.Tracyi:

Fused tooth:

Last edited by jht-union on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jht-union, jht-union, jht-union and 1 others liked this
By Steve_D
Wow, JHT. All the plants look great, and the terrarium looks very well planned and planted. I love the photo with the Nep (I guess) in sharp focus in the foreground and the red Heli in the middle of the picture, somewhat out of focus in the background. That's a beautiful photo. :D
Steve_D liked this
By jht-union
Steve_D wrote:Wow, JHT. All the plants look great, and the terrarium looks very well planned and planted. I love the photo with the Nep (I guess) in sharp focus in the foreground and the red Heli in the middle of the picture, somewhat out of focus in the background. That's a beautiful photo. :D
That's my favorite pic too! It really looks great with the Heli on the back! :)
By Daniel_G
Hehe, you sent my CPU usage to 82% and RAM usage to 90%

Still, worth it to see these incredible plants! Your Heliamphora looks great!
Thanks for sharing so many photos.
Daniel_G liked this
By Grey
Oh wow. I always enjoy looking at the photographs of your plants and setups, jht. It looks fantastic and will look absolutely astounding when it's grown out (especially with a couple of pings in there ;)). Best of luck and I hope you'll update us later in the year!
Grey liked this
By jht-union
Daniel_G wrote:Hehe, you sent my CPU usage to 82% and RAM usage to 90%

Still, worth it to see these incredible plants! Your Heliamphora looks great!
Thanks for sharing so many photos.
Thanks! :)
I bought the Heli and the ceph and the sarra plus the darlingtonia from FTS! Again and as always, great plants and service! :)
By jht-union
Grey wrote:Oh wow. I always enjoy looking at the photographs of your plants and setups, jht. It looks fantastic and will look absolutely astounding when it's grown out (especially with a couple of pings in there ;)). Best of luck and I hope you'll update us later in the year!
Thanks for the compliment Grey!
I will try to keep this thread updated, I have been very busy lately and my camera broke down, so I'm using a Sony (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz= ... tweG6LiVAg )
Doesn't work as great as my canon but at least i'm able to take pics! :)

Any advice on what pinguiculas should i put inside the terrarium? :)

Thanks!
By Grey
You're welcome :D I look forward to it, but only when you have the time.

Warm temperate pinguicula are a natural guess. Easy growing species might be better, such as P. Primuliflora. Other warm temperate pinguicula include P. Caerulea, P. Ionantha, P. Lusitanica P. Lutea, P. Planifolia and P. Pumila. As far as I know the care may differ very slightly from species to species, but most should be okay in a terrarium environment as long as you watch moisture levels as well as keeping an eye out for root rot.
Grey liked this
By Adelaide
very nice!
Adelaide liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!