FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By bowlyB
hi, i recently got a P. x Hans, i don't know its humidity requirements but anyhow i accidentally dipped it in tap water for 20-30 minutes.
i had just left in a clay pot filled with water to increase humidity and the ping just toppled from its place and fell into the tap water when i was away.
i washed the ping with RO water and placed it as usual in a glass cupboard.

now some of the leaves are wilting away n turning from green to brown

any way to improve the plant condition ??
By Grey
Can you get a photograph? That would be most helpful.

The first thing that comes to mind is root rot, that said 20-30 minutes does not seem like enough time to cause such damage. What soil is it kept in? How often do you water it? How much sun does it get?

If the plant's leaves were wetted and placed in bright light before drying out it could simply be that the leaves are sorched and are dying off; if this is the case then there should still be new growth that will be healthy.

P. x Hans is also known as P. x Tina and they do not require high humidity to survive. Keeping it in a glass cupboard (assuming it is like a terrarium) might cause root rot because of lack of air flow and water build up.
By bowlyB
well, i got it 3-4 days back.
i immediately put it in the tray system and it remains wet 2-4cm water. also the pot is about 3inch in diam.

media - dead sphagnum moss, sand and perilite.
actually the person who gave it to me got it from hungary. he basically put the plant as it came [wrapped in moss] in a sand and perilite mix, top dressed with moss.
this plant has been growing the same way for a long time maybe 2yrs, and in natural mountain spring water !

water - he keeps all cp's on tray system so did i.

see this -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/plantaepar ... 28828201/
particularly this* -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/plantaepar ... 6428828201
*one of the larger ones will be my ping.

light - i have kept it indoors always except that day of the accident when i took it outside and put in in weak but direct sunlight [filtered by a canopy of leaves and some clouds] for the afternoon and it's summer here, about 32*C at daytime normally. this is when i left it there.
after it fell down in water i brought it inside and it was 6 in the evening.
By bowlyB
the leaves are wilting from particular spots
yes and the top of the plant continuous to grow and flower.

will send a picture tomorrow.
By Grey
Being a Mexican Pinguicula, P. x Tina does not like being wet all the time (in my own experience). I'm rather surprised to hear the previous owner watered using mountain spring water, that said I don't think it's the cause of the problem if the plant has been grown in it for a couple of years. Remember spring water will vary in PPM depending on where you are in the world (even down to different parts of the country) and also consider that bottled spring water usually has added minerals or salt so that may harm the plant if you continue this trend.

If the plant was wet and you put it in sunlight (even dappled sunlight blocked by clouds) it can lead to leaf scorching, which seems to be the most likely cause of the leaf loss; if the plant is still putting out healthy new growth and is flowering I don't think for one moment that it is anything serious.

Once I've seen a photo I'll have another think and will let you know.
By bowlyB
i did find the tray water that i replaced last night a bit smelly like rotten eggs today afternoon so i took out the plant and placed it on a paper to remove water. however in the evening the plant only got even paler ALL OVER. please help.

i put only RO water
Attachments:
pingu-_0000_Layer 3.jpg
pingu-_0000_Layer 3.jpg (109.7 KiB) Viewed 8966 times
edges of leaves are browning
edges of leaves are browning
pingu-_0001_Layer 2.jpg (93.34 KiB) Viewed 8966 times
2 big leaves have gone yellow and died
2 big leaves have gone yellow and died
pingu-_0002_Layer 1.jpg (87.13 KiB) Viewed 8966 times
Last edited by bowlyB on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Grey
That's a beautiful plant, leaves browning or otherwise. It could be root rot - have you uprooted the plant and checked its roots? Sphagnum moss works for some people but it can retain 20x its weight in water which is why I don't use it for my pinguicula - they are very prone to root rot.

Do also remember that old leaves will die off and be replaced by new growth however mine usually just pale and become thinner, so I don't believe it is natural leaf recycling.
By bowlyB
thanks
i'll check tomorrow. how to safely uproot it? today i tried draining water out and it just become paler and more limp all over. the soil was still moist however .
By Grey
Gently place your fingers underneath the plant and slowly try to pull it out of the soil. You may have to individually remove the sphagnum away from the base of the plant piece by piece until you can see the roots; if they are brown and mushy they are rotting.
By bowlyB
the plant roots are stuck in sphagnum, i couldn't remove that to avoid harming the roots and the plant. what to do ?
By Grey
Without getting a good look at the roots the only thing I can suggest you do is reduce watering. Sphagnum moss retains a lot of moisture and this may be causing the harm. So reduce watering, give your plant plenty of sunlight and avoid direct sun if the leaves become wet again. See how it does.

I'm sorry I can't offer you better advice but without being able to see the roots I honestly don't know what else to recommend.

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, only[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!