FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By tross
Anyone come across this

https://www.change.org/p/u-s-fish-and-w ... responsive

A petition to "Protect the Venus Flytrap - Endangered Species Petition". While all here most likely love our little friends and a responsible owners we should not lose sight of the evil men do. Poaching wild plants, Land development, and other threats have decimated the VTF in the wild. I'm not affiliated in any way with this persons petition. But thought it interesting to investigate what efforts are being taken towards preserving the wild native VTF population
By Matt
Yes, it has been posted a few times here. I explained that if the Venus flytrap were moved to the endangered species list, that would be the end of FlytrapStore.com and likely several other carnivorous plant vendors because selling endangered species is illegal.

I support protecting their wild habitat, and have donated to do so in the past, but for obvious reasons, would not want to see them moved onto the endangered species list.
Matt, Matt, Matt and 2 others liked this
By Nick
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:Arent they already "endangered"? Where they are protected in their wild habitat, as Matt said?

Sent from my SM-G935V
It is illegal to collect any VFT from the wild, as their habitat is protected (unless you have special certification, which is very rare). The plant itself is listed as "vulnerable." The punishment for poaching was recently increased to a felony count in certain areas, IIRC.

Side note: I did not realize that classifying the plant as "endangered" meant that legally obtained and cultivated plants could no longer be sold.
By Fishkeeper
It would mean no Venus Flytraps of any kind would be legal to sell anywhere. Endangered species are not legal to sell, trade, or possess, and, as Venus Flytraps are all the same species regardless of cultivar, anything that covered all the wild ones would also protect (and therefore make illegal) the captive-bred types.
By Smooter80
You can buy artificially reproduced endangered species from any number of US and overseas vendors legally. It would however require special permits to transfer across state lines and to other participating CITIES country.

-----
EDIT BY MODERATOR: THIS IS NOT ENTIRELY FACTUAL. Plants and animals listed on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under the Endangered Species Act cannot be legally sold or transported over state lines. There are other organizations which also maintain endangered species list and that have different regulations which might allow for transportation across state lines. But the US FWS ESA does not allow for it.
By Wikiwakawakawee
So what would happen in this situation? Would all the people that already have a collection of VFTs be able to keep them? or Would they have to turn them in?
By Smooter80
I'm not sure where you guys are getting this misinformation. It sounds like something from FB. I'm not an expert on the topic but endangered plants are legally sold in the US every day. I can legally order a Sarracenia oreophila from my local Bay Area CP retailer. There is at least one US retailer with a seller's permit that can sell endangered species across state lines.

To my understanding, it's importing into the US or selling across state lines without special permits that's the issue.

I see N. rajah being sold quite often on places like eBay. When those plants are shipped from out of state, technically that is in violation of CITIES and are at risk of some serious penalties.

Giving VFTs endangered status would NOT make artificially reproduced illegal to own, sell or trade but it would make it near impossible for stores like FTS to operate.
By Benurmanii
Smooter80 wrote:I'm not sure where you guys are getting this misinformation. It sounds like something from FB. I'm not an expert on the topic but endangered plants are legally sold in the US every day. I can legally order a Sarracenia oreophila from my local Bay Area CP retailer. There is at least one US retailer with a seller's permit that can sell endangered species across state lines.

To my understanding, it's importing into the US or selling across state lines without special permits that's the issue.

I see N. rajah being sold quite often on places like eBay. When those plants are shipped from out of state, technically that is in violation of CITIES and are at risk of some serious penalties.

Giving VFTs endangered status would NOT make artificially reproduced illegal to own, sell or trade but it would make it near impossible for stores like FTS to operate.
CITES can be shipped interstate, but not internationally without permits. It is completely legal to ship N. rajah from Wisconson to Colorado.

However, my understanding is the species listed under the Endangered Species Act can only be purchased within the same state as the plant's destination, which js why you can buy Sarracenia oreophila from your local seller. Apparently, you can ship S. oreophila if it is being sent without any monetary transaction. Though that seems like a ridiculous excuse to send the plant legally, language in laws that allows otherwise illegal materials to be shipped as a gift does exist (have seen it in an ivory and animal parts law that was attempted to pass here in Oregon this past election).
Benurmanii liked this
By Bhart90
Nick wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:Arent they already "endangered"? Where they are protected in their wild habitat, as Matt said?

Sent from my SM-G935V
It is illegal to collect any VFT from the wild, as their habitat is protected (unless you have special certification, which is very rare). The plant itself is listed as "vulnerable." The punishment for poaching was recently increased to a felony count in certain areas, IIRC.

Side note: I did not realize that classifying the plant as "endangered" meant that legally obtained and cultivated plants could no longer be sold.
Yea, holy hell that blind sided me!

man I raise monarch butterflies every year from egg, tag them, and off to Mexico they go. They SHOULD of been classified as endangered already, nope. We lost 25% entire population in continental US this year. I wonder (to Matt), if they were added, would the same ruling stand for "collecting, and rearing"

boy what a thin line.
Attachments:
Screenshot_2017-03-20-01-49-42.png
Screenshot_2017-03-20-01-49-42.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 3763 times
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!