FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By BradR
Hello everyone:
I am new to the forum and I thought I would start by showing some of my photos of CP from my last visit to the Wilmington North Carolina area. I live in California but try to get to North Carolina as often as I can.
There is so much great information on this forum I don't know where to start.

All the plants below were growing in the wild.

A pair of nicely colored VFTs and a D. capillaris.

VFT with good orange color growing in full sun.

Lots of Flytraps, S. flava and D. capillaris.

Clump of Flytraps with color variations. Probably all siblings, growing in full sun.

Plant poacher control department.

Very red VFT growing in pure white sand.

Another Flytrap in sand.

Another view. I really wanted to pull a leaf off this guy and clone it (but I didn't).

One of the sweetest Flytraps I ever found in the wild. Look how many gorgeous traps it has and only one catch.

Road where the above sand plants were growing. For about a quarter mile this roadside was littered with flytraps.

More poacher control.

S. minor, flava and rubra.

S.minor and flava and possibly some hybrids.

Amazing color on this plant growing in full sun. The photo was not enhanced, it was really that color.

One of the most photogenic plants I ever saw.

Spider on S. flava.

Very healthy flytrap.

It had been raining for hours before I took this photo. Normally flytraps don't grow in standing water.

I have lots more photos but that's enough for now.
BradR
BradR, BradR, BradR and 31 others liked this
By jht-union
WOW, great photos, they all look awesome, i hope i can go to the park some day, i live in cary which is two to three hours from wilmington, great photos, all of us will appreciate this, this is a goodd example of how they live, the media they live in, and the plants near them, thank you for taking this great pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Gothic TRAPS
WOW :o !!! These must be ranked one of the best set of photo's (if not the best) I've ever seen on these forums due to the natural beauty of its habitat. I've spent a good few moments on each photo admiring the simplicity of a typical and appreciating the bare roots of these plants that nature has to offer. Us humans have broadened the magic of cloning and cross-polinating these fabulous plants into new gems of its kind, but once again you've got to appreciate the natural beauty of a typical and its surroundings. I'm sure I'll be back for more visits in admiring these awesome photos. Nice job BradR, and I'm glad to see you made it back safely through those rugged poucher patrols ;) .

Beautiful pictures, CONGRATULATIONS :mrgreen: !
By Scuzzles
Awesome photos :D

Seeing them in their natural habitat kinda gives me a warm fuzzy feeling :mrgreen: Thanks for sharing them Brad!
Scuzzles liked this
By Steve_D
Thank you so much BradR for posting these extremely interesting and beautiful photos. Every so often I have a fantasy or dream of being able to buy some of that lowland around Wilmington, North Carolina to establish a permanent reserve for Venus Flytraps that can be visited and enjoyed by anyone.

Anyway, it's so neat seeing Venus Flytraps growing in a natural habitat. Thanks so much for posting photos from your trip.
Steve_D liked this
By HarrisAz
wahh!!!so nice man! thanks for posting!!colourful!

i wonder how the VFTs manage to avoid root rot while his sitting in a very wet soil!

well is that mean that we can plant VFT in pure sand with only some peat?

haha sry...

Thanks
Harris
By cbennett4041
HarrisAz wrote:wahh!!!so nice man! thanks for posting!!colourful!

i wonder how the VFTs manage to avoid root rot while his sitting in a very wet soil!

well is that mean that we can plant VFT in pure sand with only some peat?

haha sry...

Thanks
Harris
I think so! You just have to water every 3 hours. ;)
By HarrisAz
whats wrong with this sarracenia?
By prized
Amazing pics! Thank you fro sharing with us.. I hope you'll post the other pics too :)

Do you have any informations about the soil? It doesn't looks like our peat moss :)
By BradR
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys.
Do you have any informations about the soil? It doesn't looks like our peat moss
I did study the soil at the various Dionaea sites I visited. Most of the plants were growing in soil with a layer of organic matter at the surface anywhere from 1-6 inches thick. The plants growing in pure sand were not that common but very striking in appearance. The organic matter was live sphagnum and peat in some spots like the photo below taken in Pender County N.C..

Sometimes it was a mixture of pine needles, broadleaf leaves dead grass. In almost every spot the subsoil was silica sand that was always moist even when the surface was dry. In almost every site the ground was littered with pine needles.
I have been experimenting with using chopped pine needles in the potting mix. The photo below shows dionaea seedlings growing in 1/3 chopped pine needles, 1/3 silica sand (16 mesh), 1/3 peat. I have another flytrap that has been growing in 100% chopped pine needles for 1 year and looks good.

BradR, BradR, BradR and 3 others liked this
By Devon
Fantastic! I really love the way flytraps look in the wild.... especially with that colour, and the trap variations!!! Thanks for sharing!
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!