FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Scuzzles
Haha that's pretty cool! :D
By moof
Any updates on the seedlings?

Peter
By dantt99
Shhhhh Peter. He's embarassed us enough xD :lol:
By wiki234
Lol you guys are like my science teachers XD
By jht-union
dmagnan wrote:
jht-union wrote:Really this is amazing, i bet the traits are heterozygous recessive for the female part of the plant(forgot the term sorry), since you self-pollinated, and the offsprings flower early just like the parent(the two that flower early), so the pollen must be heterozygous recessive as well since some of the offsprings didn't flower early like their parents. That means that 25% would flower early, which is what happened when just the two VFT's flower, 50% would carry the trait, they are carriers of the trait, they might flower early, or not, but when they pass it to their next offspring, their offsprings would either carry the trait, or flower early like their grandfather trait, and the other 25% would be heterozygous dominant that means that they would not carry the trait, and would be like any regular VFT, but this things can vary depending of what plant you use with really strong traits.
I think you may have your terms mixed up a little bit. By definition a heterozygote contains two different alleles of a gene, and a homozygote has two copies of the same allele. If the homozygotes have different phenotypes, the dominant trait is defined as the one observed in a heterozygote. So, all heterozygotes are "heterozygous dominant". You mean to hypothesize that the mutation is recessive, and the wild type copy of the gene is dominant. In this case a heterozygote (both a mutant and a normal copy of the gene) will be normal, but if you breed two heterozygotes, then 1/4 of the progeny will be homozygous mutant and flower early. If if it is a recessive mutation though, then when you self-pollinate a heterozygous mutant, all of the offspring will be mutant, because the plant only has mutant copies of the gene to pass on to its offspring.
Thanks for the explanation, its been a while since i haven't use these terms :oops: :)
By stubbingsj
Could you possibly combine your "early bloomer" with a VFT variety you wanted more of (i.e. MM)? That way it would flower, reproduce, flower reproduce, etc. faster than a regular MM would on its own?
By Matt
stubbingsj wrote:Could you possibly combine your "early bloomer" with a VFT variety you wanted more of (i.e. MM)? That way it would flower, reproduce, flower reproduce, etc. faster than a regular MM would on its own?
That's certainly a possibility, assuming I still had the plant or any of the seedlings from that seed set. Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of them. There didn't seem to be much interest in them.
By Snap Traps
Wait... If the trait pass down by seed then surely it could be a new species??? That's what I think anyway :P .
Matt wrote:That's certainly a possibility, assuming I still had the plant or any of the seedlings from that seed set. Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of them. There didn't seem to be much interest in them.
You don't mean that you "lost" them completely?!
By Dionae
Matt wrote:
stubbingsj wrote:Could you possibly combine your "early bloomer" with a VFT variety you wanted more of (i.e. MM)? That way it would flower, reproduce, flower reproduce, etc. faster than a regular MM would on its own?
That's certainly a possibility, assuming I still had the plant or any of the seedlings from that seed set. Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of them. There didn't seem to be much interest in them.
Oh no :shock: :o :shock: !!! I was very interested. Can you imagine the seed turn around for these!? You could be on an F5 generation in a year if you worked hard enough. If you ever find it again Matt i'd like to buy a couple. This is a dream to a man that likes to grow everything from seed.

Now, if I could only get my sarrs to flower in 6 months from seed :lol: .
By Matt
Dionae wrote:Oh no !!! I was very interested. Can you imagine the seed turn around for these!? You could be on an F5 generation in a year if you worked hard enough. If you ever find it again Matt i'd like to buy a couple. This is a dream to a man that likes to grow everything from seed.
I think I threw away the F2 seedlings that I started in vitro. I don't recall what happened to the one that was potted in soil. This was several years ago now (over 3 years) and I'm sure it's long gone now, probably sold as a typical. But if I come across the trait again (it seems to happen from time to time with seedlings I start in vitro), I'll be sure to keep you in mind :)
Matt liked this
By Vern
I really like that name. "early bloomer".

I recieved my seeds, yay! Thank you, ChefDean Sen[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

Oo, very nice. That right one is particularly nice[…]

She definitely needs to go outside, yes. Keep her […]

FB_IMG_1714215761115.jpg This is the first one I[…]

Rain

Got your buckets ready!??? ;) Yes!. 30 gall[…]

Long time ago this nepenthes began flowering and w[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!